Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anchoring
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I’m new to the Getaway and have run into something I just can’t figure out. With all the mono-hull sailboats I’ve owned in the past, when you are at anchor with the mainsail up but free to swing (main sheet all the way out) would point directly into the wind and move very little. With the Getaway it wants to wander all over the place, even traveling upwind to the point of passing the anchor. I have tried all sorts of things with the rudder i.e. tied amidships, tied all the way to one side, fully up out of the water, etc. and cannot get the boat to sit still. The anchor is tied to the center of the forward crossbeam and the main sheet is disconnected from the sail. I've also tried close-hauling the main sail. I don’t want to have to take the sail down every time I want to stop for a swim, and would like to be able to anchor on a sand bar without my boat running into boats anchored nearby. What’s the secret to anchoring the Getaway?

Post subject: Re: Anchoring
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'd like to know as well. I've experienced the same problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

2 anchors maybe? one off the bow and one off the stern?
Although it would certainly be a pain to carry two anchors on board...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Catamarans and Trimarans behave best with a bridle system for the anchor. Works well and keeps the boat from wandering all over. Each bridle arm should be about 8' to 10' for the Getaway.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Also try releasing the downhaul. That will take some of the "bag" out of the sail.
But its like drgatsea said - the bridle system will help. I think all cats always wander like that.
If you are just going for a short swim, I wouldn't worry about it. if its a longer break, its pretty easy to drop the main. The boat will still wander, but just not as much and with a lot less force than when the main is up and catches the wind.

or just do like I do, swim when you tip over.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My 18 does the same thing. I once rigged up a dual anchor system. The anchors were about 30 feet apart and the boat was about 30 feet downwind. It worked better than a single even with the main up as long as lines were relatively tight.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hmm. Wondered about this too. Bridling is a good idea. Here's an interesting link: EZ Lay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks drgatsea for the idea. I made up a 10' bridle and will try it on Sunday. What do you recomend for the mainsail and rudder? Should I leave the main loose or close-hauled? Tie the rudder amidships, to one side, or out of the water?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Wxup - Most of the time I pull my Getaway up on the beach, facing the wind, rudders up, sail loose and it never goes anywhere. When we rent larger cats in the BVI's, we use a bridle, rudders are down, sails are usually down and again the boat stays put. I also have a Corsair F-24 (trimaran) and before I started using a bridle, the boat would sail past it's anchor all the time, unnerving if you plan on going to sleep. I now anchor with a bridle, boards up, rudder up and sails usually down and I don't have any problems.

If I was going to anchor the Getaway for a short stay, I would be comfortable with a bridle, rudders up, jib furled, mainsail up, slack in the sheets and uncleated. I'm not sure I would disconnect the main sheet from the sail either. Too easy for some one to get popped if the wind picks up. I also wouldn't wander far off. Stuff happens on the water, count on it.

But if you have sand, put the boat there. It's safest, easiest and the boat is made for it, you can't hurt it. Have fun!