Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

First I want to say thanks to all of you who have posted questions here, to those who have responded and to Hobie for hosting this site, which helps all of us. I have read almost every post on the Getaway and Wave forums and have also looked at a number on the open forum. I have gained a wealth of knowledge, laughed a little, and have shook my head in bewilderment at some of the comments I have read.

I am purchasing a 2002 Getaway (can't believe I actually found one in CR) I will be launching from a well protected ramp, that leads to a narrow inlet, with strong tides. I may need a motor but, I intend to try getting in and out without one at first. I plan to do coastal cruising on the Pacific side, with my wife and daughter, 2 to 15 miles distance to a few different protected coves. My intention is not to be more than a 1/2 mile or so offshore with the family on board. I will have a vhf radio and cell on board for additional safty.

I have been on the water my whole life, from high performance power boats to racing mono hulls. My last boat was a 36 cat, that I sold four years ago. My beach cat experience totals about 5 hours. This was on a Wave in Cancun two weeks ago. Prior to this, I had never seen a Wave or Getaway, I guess you could say it was love at first sight.

Because of the information gathered here, I am confident that the hull, mast, comptip, rudders and cross bars are all in good condition. I intend to change all of the standing rigging, running rigging, both tramps and the jib. I will also disassemble the entire boat and go over all of the clevis pins, tangs, bushings, roller furling, rudder assembly's etc. Why not, Hobie has made it so easy to do. I would feel secure knowing that the boat was in the best condition possible. So now the questions.

What is the youngest child, that anyone here has had on beach cat offshore.

I really like the yellow rear tramps that I have seen on line. It appears that they are only available in vinyl coated polyester. I don't mind the water puddling on the tramp, its warm here. My concern is how strong are they (I'm 240 lbs. and I don't want to be re stretching it all of the time) and how much can they contribute to flipping a cat over, as compared to a mesh tramp. Any recommendations as to the best place to have tramps made.

I plan to use a black polypropylene mesh for the front tramp. My concern here is, will this tramp contribute much to pitch poling due to it's tight weave? I like the fact that I should be able to have a really tight tramp, due to it being a bias cut material.

Because of my distance to a Hobie dealer, would I be better to go up one size on the standing rigging, for longer longevity and extra strength, or should I just take a few extra original sets back with me. Does Hobie offer a heaver shroud for the Getaway?

Vern

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

Vern,

I can answer a few of the questions...

We do not sell a heavier grade wire for the Getaway, I don't believe it is necessary. A standard set will last you many, many years. Especially if the mast is not left up 24/7 all year long.

A tighter weave on the forward trampoline would be a problem (pitchpole). You need the large openings in that trampoline to allow water through.

I am not aware of any yellow trampolines for a Getaway. We are the only producer who uses vinyl and heat welded seams as far as I know. We have not produced yellow trampolines here for longer than the period of time the Getaway has been manufactured (plus some years). A solid material would not be a problem as far as adding to capsize risk. The difference is minimal to no-existent.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've had my Hobie 18 for going on 4 years now. I've got the Hobie solid vinyl tramp and I've sailed solo (210 lbs) to up to 5 people (probably 800 lbs)(I've got wings) and I've never once had to tighten the tramp and it's drum tight. The youngest kid I've had out on the Gulf of Mexico was probably about 10 at the time. (I took a year old dog once)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Glad to see another hobbie owner from Costa Rica, I got a revo.

Good luck with your new ship!
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Howdy Vern and Dan,

Just joined the forum. Together with three buddies we have two 18SX cat's here in San Jose, Costa Rica. They need a lot of work, but we hope to eventually sail them quite a bit.

We're all "ticos" of German and/or US descent, in our early 40's, work in San José (although one is an architect in Malpais), with kids of all ages.

PM me if you'd like to get in touch so we can exchange information on part suppliers, good places to sail, etc.

Pura vida!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

>> What is the youngest child, that anyone here has had on beach cat offshore

We have had our 3 year old (along with several other kids) with us on our Getaway out in the Gulf of Mexico. No more than a mile offshore. Definitely had a parent assigned to watch him closely.

http://craigliz.com/family/2009/07012009/DSC05740.JPG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Vern, I weigh 235, I am still using the stock tramp on an 07 Getaway, and I've never had to restretch it. My forward tramp is a bit looser, which I don't mind, as its mostly younger kids who like to go up on it. It's also the stock tramp, which is a very loose mesh, and allows plenty of water to blast through it when you plow through a wave (hence little effect on pitchpoling).

I've had kids of many ages on my boat, probably as young as five, of course all with lifejackets on all the time, and accompanying adults.

I have been about 7 miles offshore, with two young kids (7 and 10), to the point where you just about cannot see the shore. However, it was an extenuating circumstance - I was rescuing a disabled jetski that had drifted out due to an offshore wind, and nobody had noticed. The kids (and their dad) were the rescuees. Having been that far out, I would never do it again voluntarily, as I felt way out of my comfort zone. I do regularly go out about a mile or two though.