Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a pretty new Hobie Wave but am a little disappointed in how low it sits when I put 4 people on it. I am considering selling my Wave and buying a Getaway so that I can fit my family and friends on at the same time.

Can I really fit 4 adults (120 - 200 lbs) and 4 kids (40 - 75 lbs) on a Getaway and not have the tramp. dipping into the water (this is my social goal)?
Is the Getaway much harder to rig, launch and sail vs a Wave? I really love the simplicity of the Wave and think that it will be great for teaching my kids (5 and 10 yrs old) how to sail and I am a bit afraid that the Getaway may by to much boat for beginners.

Any input/advice/suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Indeed you can! You won't break speed records, but the Getaway really moves with very little wind. That's one of the reasons I love the Getaway: I can take it out by myself in the morning when everyone is still slumbering, and then take the whole gang out in the evening for a social cruise. Get it with the wings (this boat should never be sold without them!)

I can't compare the setup as I've never tried the Wave, but I can setup the Getway by myself from the hard to sailing in about 20 minutes.

The Getaway is so forgiving, it's a great boat for beginners. If you've ever sailed the 16 and remember the white knuckles as the boat pitched-poled, the Getaway will be a dream. The boyancy in the bows really make a big difference. The boom-less main is a boon with kids (I no longer have to worry about a kid getting wacked by the boom). The foward trampoline is a child's dream.

Just get it, you won't regret.
Xavier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I agree it is an awesome sailboat for a family. The kids will like to hang out on the mesh in front. And the wings provide either an elevated seating area or a backrest. And dont forget the coolers.

Very stable. And it seems to tack better than your typical cat. Think of it as a family sport boat.

I am not as good as some of these guys yet at rigging. It still takes me too much time to step the dang mast....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

i sailed the wave on vacation down island and loved it..i came home, sold the Hunter 146 and went wave shopping....the dealer i went to had 2 waves and a getaway..having a wife, 2 kids and lots of other family that is always at the beach house every weekend, the Getaway was a no brainer...kids love the forward tramp as they are looking for mermaids and pirates,,,wife loves the wing seats to stay a "bit" dryer and my bro-in-law loves going with me alone and seeing what shes made of....GET THE GETAWAY!!!!!