Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Excitement followed by disappointment.

I just picked up my Hobie 16 spinnaker kit for my 2009 Getaway. I was so excited when got it, but I was very disappointed when I examined the two pages of instructions (one page for a 16; one for a Getaway). I have never seen one of these things installed. There is no one at my club with one. There is no way I am going to be able to install this thing without some pictures and instructions.
- there is no parts list, so I don't know if I have all the parts.
- I don't know where to drill the holes and rivet the parts. Size of holes? Location of holes? Which part goes where?
- I don't know how to rig the thing.

For $1680, I was expecting a web link to a nice installation booklet with step by step instructions for each part installation, and each component of the rigging, and lots of pictures.

The instructions point to the Tiger assembly instructions, but nothing there helped except maybe how the spin pole attaches to the middle cross bar.

I really need some help. Does anyone have one installed? My first task is to figure out where I need to drill the holes and install the parts. Then I need to know how to rig it. Does anyone have any pictures? Does anyone have any written instructions? Anything would help, because right now I don't even know where to begin.

Thanks,
...Dave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Pasted from previous post

There is just one kit - it mounts to the H16/.... or you can mount it on a Getaway (with minimal effort - all you do it use a short pigtail line to attach the bridles for the pole to the bow spreader bar)

We haven't printed instructions - since this is a very low volume seller - it hasn't been taken on yet - if you have a question or if you want to install this kit on your getaway feel free to contact me off the board (my e mail is listed below) I'll help you out - its easy.

[email protected]

I had mine installed by the dealer. You have to drill a number of holes and place rivets in the comp tip portion of the mast, and the mid crossbar. I wasn't comfortable doing that on my own. My installation is perfect. It works flawlessly and is a lot of fun. Even with professional installation it took a lot of guidance from the dealer just to figure out how to run the lines. Be patient the wait to get it right will be well worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the reply. Since you had yours installed by the dealer, would you be willing to take pictures of all pieces that needed drill holes to install? Everything else I can figure out one step at a time, but I would like to install the riveted pieces correctly.
Are there installation instructions for the Hobie 16 somewhere online? I would like to find everything that has been written about this spinnaker kit.
Thanks,
...Dave

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I will take pictures over the weekend and try to get them up by Monday. I couldn't find instrutions when I was trying to put things together either.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a 2002 getaway and am also interested in a spinnaker but it might be a few years before I can spend that much for more sail. Anyway, google images for "hobie getaway spinnaker". I found a few pictures of the rigging and they link to some sites. No instructions found though. Thought the pics might help.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

How do you post pictures. I have uploaded to photobucket clicked on "Img" in the post a reply template and got what's next?

Dave,
The hardware installation consists of 8 installs. I hope you have diagrams from Hobie. The mast bracket is, of course, the most critical. I know this is inadeguate but perhaps with the Hobie diagrams you can get a better idea of what needs to be done. I will post the pictures if I can fiqure it out and go back next weekend and measure as well as I can. Please verify the mast bracket position with Hobie tech support before you put a bunch of holes in your mast.

1. Mount bracket and pulley for raising the spin on the mast. It is 38" from the top of the mast, excluding the pulley stuff on top, to the top of the center of the bracket.

2. Mount the bracket to attach the spin bow pole to the center of the mid crossbar in the center below the mast ball support.

3.-6. On top of the mid cross bar mount 2 spin sheet pulleys about 2" from the edge, a small pulley on the right side and a jam cleat on the left side both in board of the jam cleats for the jib.

7. Attach a swivel pulley to the left side of the rear tramp in the front near the mid cross bar.

8. Install a gromet in the front tramp on the left side just in front of the mid cross bar in line with the swivel pulley.

The pulleys for the spin sheets are pretty obvious. The pulley on the cross bar and the tramp along with the jam cleat are for the halyard to raise and lower the spin. The halyard line runs through the tramp lacing, under the cross bar and through the hole/gromet in the front tramp.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob123 wrote:
How do you post pictures. I have uploaded to photobucket clicked on "Img" in the post a reply template and got what's next?....

If you use Photobucket, go to the picture that you want, (you don't have to open the image, just go to the album) click on the IMG code link, and it will automatically copy to your computer's clipboard. Then just paste that link into your message here, WITHOUT using the Img button on this forum.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

spin halyard jam cleat and bowsprit attachmemt

swivel pulley on rear tramp and gromet on front tramp

close up of swivel pulley

mast bracket and pulley for spin halyard

halyard pulley on cross bar.

will post 2 more pictures tomorrow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the pictures. I am going to create spinnaker installation instructions for the Getaway, so all these pictures are very useful.
Thanks,
...Dave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

halyard top pulley
cross beam full view
spin sheet pulley
spin pole mount

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone,

I have created a FIRST DRAFT 16 page instruction manual for how to install the 2012 Hobie 16 spinnaker kit onto a 2009 Getaway.

Thanks to Bob123 and Jacques Bernier for all of their help and photos. I could not have done it without them. Bob123's boat and kit are clearly very different from both my boat and the spinnaker kit I just bought. Jacques' boat and kit look identical to what I have. Even the parts that are similar are installed in slightly different locations.

Just to be clear, I just made this up, out of thin air. I have never installed this kit. I have never seen a Hobie with this kit installed. I have never even sailed a spinnaker. I used Jacques' and Bob's advice and photos to invent a logical set of instructions.

I would very much appreciate a review of these installation instructions. All comments are welcome, either here or directly at [email protected]. I hope to install this kit soon, but I very much want to install it correctly, especially all installation steps that require a drill.

http://freepdfhosting.com/1766cab680.pdf

I thank you in advance for any time spent reviewing these installation instructions. I will happily post an updated set of instructions. I would post the MS Word file for people to update directly, but unfortunately it is 90MB because I have not reduced the size of the photos.

Cheers,
...Dave

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone,
I have updated my instructions for installing the Hobie Getaway spinnaker kit. The link is only good for 30 days, so hopefully some Hobie web site captain will figure out how to import it into this web site for me.
http://freepdfhosting.com/15acc40ec6.pdf
Cheers,
...Dave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone,
Well, I have learned quite a bit since I installed my Hobie 16 spin on my Getawayin the spring. I hope to update the installation instructions document this winter, but for now, I have updated it with my to-be-updated to-do list.
http://freepdfhosting.com/7891285579.pdf (valid for 30 days on this hosting site)

Here what I have learned:

---------------

After a season of sailing with the Hobie 16 spin on my Getaway, I have a few more thoughts to add on this topic. I plan to update this document this winter with updated text and a few new pictures, but for now here is my short to-do list for these instructions.

a) Add to Section F; Sailing. On a medium to heavy wind, snugly sheet in the main sail. It acts as a backstay and stops the mast from bending too far forward.

b) The spin sail rips really really easily. I put four holes in my new spin in the first few months. I eventually figured out that the rings holding my cotter pins just below my furling reel were poking holes in my spin. I duct taped over everything sharp-ish below my front stay roller furling, down to my front spreader bar. After the duct tape was added in June, I didn't have any more holes in my spin. Luckily, spin sheet repair tape comes in the exact same red as my spin.

c) The spin pole bag/sock is kinda crap. The part that has not been covered by my boat tarp is very faded. And out of the blue, I have a hole in it! This thing should be bullet proof. I am disappointed in the spin bag, but it should last a few years. I have a sexy patch of duct tape over my spin bag hole.

d) Spin pole pre-bend. The spin will pull up on the spin pole. To prepare for this, the front stays of the spin pole should be tight enough to pre-bend the spin pole in a downward direction. Without pre-bend, the spin pole takes on a dangerous up-bend in a medium or heavy wind.

e) Height of spin mast tank is not correct. According to other spin sailors, the luff of the spin should be pulled to a tight straight line when sailing a broad reach. When my spin is pulled up to the mast tang block, my spin luff is not tight. It needs about another 23cm of length, which means that my spin mast tang is too low by about xx cm. Crap !!!

f) Side stay spin sheet blocks. Hmm…. I flew my spin in a medium wind the other day. The side stay spin sheet blocks really bent my side stays at the bottom. That cannot be healthy for my side stays. The location also does not seem to give enough down pull on the spin. I think I might move the block from the side stay to the base of the front outer wing seat pole.

g) Holding the spin sheet by hand is not comfortable. I am considering adding a cam cleat to my side spin blocks somehow.

-----

But I do love my spin !

Cheers,
...Dave

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks SO much for the instructions! My dealer installed my spinnaker, but we didn't rig it, and your instructions really helped me figure out the halyard and tack rigging!
Love the chute! Flew it the first time 2 weeks ago, and it really pulls! I need to figure out how to douse it in a less exciting manner though.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I rigged up a vanguard Nomad spin on my Getaway
they are on sail at Laser performance..hope i'm not step-
ping on Hobies toes.
Nomad Locator - Retail - Final.pdf
Nomad is 17', spin maybe a little full, but price:
$284-308 is good, new stock
let me know if link works
i made pole from a windsurf mast and used double
57mm smart ratchets