Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Boat in the Fleet
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My new Getaway arrived today.

So much easier to build than a 16! I think we took about 3 hours including reading twice and beering once to get the boat and wings put together.

Tomorrow I glue the mast together and finish rigging. Then start trying to figure out the spinnaker install.
Edit: Not one instruction sheet on mounting the H16 spin kit on a Getaway? There are three spinnaker related PDF's in the H16 section but NOTHING in the Getaway section. Reading the threads on spinnakers and Getaways the lack of instructions is having an effect on sales. It appears that no one grabs the user created instructions from 2010-2012 to make them available either. Hobie could do a better job in support of a $1700 accessory kit.

The tramps are dead easy to install. After reading about issues with them I was prepared for battle but they slide right into position with sailcote sprayed on the bolt ropes and into the tracks.

Assembly instructions could use bigger/clearer photos, but they were plenty complete enough not to make any mistakes.

I have a H16 that is just a bit too highly strung for just sailing about and impossible with 3 (don't even think about 4) adults. We're hoping the Getaway will still be fun to sail with two couples aboard. My wife has already shown more interest in this boat than the she did for the 16. I have high hopes of enjoying her company on the water this season.

We are in Mexico so our sailing season is November to May ...