Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cleatiing the main sheet
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a new Getaway with Naustros blocks. When under sail, the bottom block that is just above the traveler stands vertical with the cam cleat facing to the sky. This makes it very difficult to cleat and even when I cleat the main sheets they don't stay cleated. This just doesn't seem right to me. Anyone know anything about this?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can adjust the cleat angle to your preference. We make it high so that people don't cleat the main, as a beginner this helps to not capsize - the worse thing is to the have the cleat angle too low and not be able to un-cleat it, this could cause you to flip in stronger breeze.

If you are sheeting the main from the wing seats the cleat needs to be higher than if you are sitting on the hull - so that will effect your angle needs as well.

To adjust the cleat remove the screws on the side and move the jaws up - just takes a minute.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks. I will take a look at that, but it seems the entire block or cam cleats should be parallel with the tramp if not using wings. That is the way the Harkens on my Prindle worked and worked well. I just pulled the sheets straight towards me and cleated up, then snapped the sheets down to uncleat when needed.