Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tell us more...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My wife and me have gone seven miles up the Cummberland River in Tennessee and seven back. We use the Round Lick Creek boat ramp. It's seldom full and usually nobody there at all. The trip takes about eight hours and is beautiful, many bluffs, a couple islands, and a few creeks to explore. Alot of wildlife and the fishing is outragous. Good exercise and a trip many should check out if they are looking for something off the beaten path. If you go on a weekend you'll probably see us there. We've had our boats since 2007 and gone all over the regoin and only seen one other hobie kayaker. My wife has a revolution and I have an adventure. And I can't imagine making that trip without the mirage drive. Another great trip is up the Caney Fork from the Happy Hollow boat ramp see how far you can goup river. We've made it about six miles during dam generation. I'd like to see someone paddle up this river during generation that isn't an olympian. The water is 52 degrees fahrenheit year round and is stocked with trout. While travelling up river you can see about ten feet deep into the water and it's crystal clear. The numbers of fish i see is unbelievable. And the cool water in summer time makes clouds of fog that make the trip a must for anyone in the area looking for an adventure.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

11 nautical miles to the world famous hells gates in macquarie harbour Tasmania,
then return the same day in a screaming southerly buster,awesome trip on a getaway with no resort gear,very fast!!Planning to sail around tassie one day but probably on a tiger,not a getaway.
Tasmania's only getaway sailor.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

32.5 miles in 4 hours on a Tandem Island down in the Florida Keys back in late June.

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

From inside Palm Jumeirah (The man-made palm-shaped island in Dubai), out to sea and around the Palm following a race of the local 60' dhows during the recent Louis Vuitton race, and around to the legendary Burj Al Arab. A round trip of about 25 nautical miles. Trip time was about two and a half hours.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Down Santa Rosa Sound From Navarre Beach, FL to Pensacola Fl and back - about 35 miles. Took most of the afternoon. A pod of dolphins played alongside our boat for several minutes on that trip!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

1/2 mile across my lake and back lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

one weekend two years ago we somehow got off friday and had the entire barnegat bay (nj) to ourselves. we also had perfect westerly wind that allowed for a brilliant cruise south from barnegat light to the route 72 bridge and back. we sailed under the bridge and made a victorious tack around the marker on the south side before a zipping sail back north.

total distance ~14 miles took 5-6 hours. we saw maybe 10 boats on the water that day. an extremely memorable occasion as winds and water were all just perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

On April 24, 2010 my then-girlfriend (now my spouse!) & I sailed a rental Getaway from Belizean Shores Resort on Ambergris Caye to Caye Caulker and back -- a total distance of slightly over 32.5 miles, as logged on my Garmin GPS 48. Due to the haze, we were out of sight of land for up to 3 miles between islands that particular day. The Ambergris Caye, Belize environment is ideal for cat sailing, with a continuous barrier reef protecting a stretch from shore out to anywhere from a quarter mile to two miles from the Cayes, running nearly the full coastal length of the country.

We experienced mainly steady winds of 15-20 knots from the east and waves typically less than 3 feet, except for cuts in the reef. On our return trip, there were 6-8 foot waves in the San Pedro cut, and launching off them for the entertainment of two water taxis was equally thrilling for us as well! We received a number of compliments on our skills from various power boat operators we later encountered on shore. We saw three rays leaping out of the water, one porpoise, one sea turtle the size of a car tire, and various coral formations typical of the reef environment during our day trip. It took us about two hours in each direction.

The Getaway we rent isn't in the greatest of shape, but the environment there is brutal on equipment, so I empathize with the company owner. We think it's the greatest place on earth to sail!

'83/'84 H16 "Cosmic Cat" Blue Hawaii #82278

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This year, NO WHERE, because there hasn't been any decent wind (or none at all) in Annapolis, the "sailing capital of the U.S." 24 miles round trip, Annapolis to Rock Hall, MD across the Chesapeake Bay and back, previous years. Of course there are those rare days when it IS blowing and you're stuck in your office looking at the trees branches swaying. Anyone have this problem?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

Longest trip - - I should have thought of this sooner and tracked my sailing trips since 2003, when I purchased the Getaway. Oh well, lessons learned, so I started this summer.

All though I live in Maryland, I sail out of Rehoboth Beach on Rehoboth Bay. I trailer my Getaway from Baltimore, stay in Ocean City MD. I would really like to sail on Assawonan Bay, but there are no places to drop the boat in the water, catch the wind, and leave the vechile & trailer till I return. BTW - I've clocked 10,300 miles on the Long trailer.

Using my GPS (Garmin 60CS), with tracking on, here are my most resent recorded days-on-the-water.

2 July: w / 2 onboard,
Max speed: 16.1 mph
Overall avg speed: 7.2
Distance: 26.19 miles
Winds: 6-12 mph

6 July: w / 3 onboard,
Max speed: 15.5 mph
Overall avg speed: 5.0
Distance: 23.7 miles
Winds: 8-15 mph

27 July: w / 4 onboard,
Max speed: 10.3 mph
Overall avg speed: 3.0
Distance: 10.3 miles
Winds: 5-10 mph

More to come.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello All,

Back out sailing on Rehoboth Bay for a day on the water. Winds were 8-12 mph with two onboard. Here's what my Garmin recorded:

Max speed: 13.2 mph
Overall avg speed: 4.9 mph
Odometer: 20.44 miles

For sailors around Baltimore MD; I contacted Sandy Point State Park hoping they would allow me to put the Getaway in the water from the beach - - no luck. They said I would get stuck in the sand.

More to come.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have been taking the kids out up around Oakley / Pittsburg on the San Joaquin river East of San Francisco.

Sat 8/13, 28.8 miles, top speed 15
Fri 8/20, 13.8 miles, top speed 14
Sat 8/21, 27 miles, top speed 17.2 - just as we pitch poled :)

In hindsight a screaming reach down a 100ft wide channel is very likely likely to end with the boat on its side in a reed bed. It took me 20 minutes but was able to right it, push it out of the weeds and get back to sailing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ahoy All,

It's that time again in the Maryland/Delaware area for me to get the Getaway out on the water and that's just what I did on 26 May.

First time out for this season went like this.

Max speed: 15.5 mph
Avg speed: 4.8 mph
Distance: 24.53 miles
Sailing time on the water: 3hr 3 min
Conditions: 8-15 mph winds w/gusts

Enjoy,
Frank

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Typo?
25/3 = 8.4 MPH, not 4.8. 8.4MPH over 3 hours is good.