Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

On the Beachcats there was a brief but interesting thread about whether the mast step pin should be taken out after stepping the mast. (Getaway and H17's use the ball style mast base)

One observation was to leave it installed in case you turtled and the shrouds were a little loose you wouldn't have to worry about the mast base separating from the ball.

The other observation was to remove the step pin in case a shroud breaks so the mast doesn't destroy everything in its path when it fall across the boat while still attached to the mast ball.

The instructions for mast stepping a Getaway don't mention removing the mast step pin after stepping is complete.

Just thought it was an interesting thread and wondered what others thought or did. I keep my mast pinned- but the arguments seem relevant on either side.

Chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This is the way I look at it.

You leave the pin in:

1) True you wont have a chance losing your mast if you turtle, but really, your shrouds shouldn't be loose enough for that to happen anyways.

2) If one of your shrouds breaks, you're running the risk of damaging your boat to the point where it could be unseaworthy while you wait for a tow back. (ie, the mast hits one of the hulls and puts a big hole in it, I've seen it happen)

You take the pin out:

1) if you lose a shroud, the mast will pop off the ball and go right into the water. It will still be connected one way or another to the boat so you can retrieve it, but it will be difficult.

I've been through two masts leaving the pin in. Take it out. Save your spars and your hulls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am not questioning your integrity or experience- I believe you! - what I was wondering is why taking the pin out keeps the mast from tearing up the boat and doing damage - does it allow the mast to fall over and outboard rather than pivoting on the ball and falling forward or aft? Or is it when the the mast does release after being pinned it acts like a fulcrum when it releases and hammers the boat instead of falling over in one steady motion?

Chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You've got it....

what happens is when you leave the pin in, its the fulcrum point of the one-sided lever.

When you take the pin out, the fulcrum is relocated to where-ever the mast lands, usually just cartwheeling over the side or back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Actually the manual does say to keep the pin in. "Pass the ring through the pin to keep it captive. This pin should remain in place while sailing."