Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Interested in the performance of a Getaway vs. Hobie 16. Specifically speed and pointing. I have a Getaway on the beach this summer and looking to go up against a few of the 16's that are parked next to me. Thank you for all responses. Dom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Speed comes in large part from the nut on the tiller, however having sailed both boats I would say the 16 is noticeably quicker, pointing is a toss up IMHO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If performance is your primary goal and you keep the crew weight down to under 375 lbs. then the 16 is the way to go. If on the other hand you may want to take 3 or 4 friends along, or small children and you don't mind giving up a little performance then the Getaway is the way to go. They are both designed for a different style of sailing. I loved my 16 but I am now 62 and although I hated to give up the thrill of the 16 but as a trade off the Getaway is such a comfortable boat to sail. It still gets a good turn of speed but you can relax more and not worry so much about a pitch poll with a good wind off your rear quarter. Just my two cents that's all.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had a 16 for 5 years and have had my Getaway for 9 years now and LOVE it.

The 16 points much higher than the Getaway due to the shape of the hulls which can be very frustrating if you try to stay with them. Don't fall into that trap of pinching up - keep the boat moving fast but as close as you can.

If you compare the Portsmouth rating of 76.0 for the 16 to the rating of 83.1 for the Getaway, you can get a little idea of the inherent difference between the two. In a handicapped race if the Getaway is close enough to throw a rock at the 16 then the Getaway would win on corrected time.

I've raced in several regattas in my Getaway where there were 16's on the course and have finished ahead of them, especially when in light air.

'05 Wave

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you for all of your posts. I have a Getaway that my buddy is teaching me how to sail. He has sailed 16's for many years and this is his first time with a Getaway. He loves it. Thanks again for all of the replies. Dom