Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What a great sail craft! With just a hint of a breeze, it glides through the water! and in high winds it was a blast! I have had it out in... 40-50Km/hr winds. It is more difficult to do a tack turn than a mono hule, especially in higher winds. My own record speed with one other buddy on board is 29 km/hr. With just me I had her up to 25. I am curious to know how fast others have been able to get. Chow for now, and happy sailing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Holy crap! You're alittle more daring then I! I had mine out in 20kt winds in the ocean and I was scared.....although this is my first ever sailboat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, in the Ocean im, sure the waves would ba a factor, but on small lakes where the wind is high the the waves are not intimidating you can get more speed out of the boat im sure. I did have problems of the wing seat bars dragging in the water, or waves catching it and probably slowing me down some what, but still a rush that I love.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I guess I max speed so far is 17-18 MPH thats about 28 KHP in metric units.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

have noticed at high speed the spray hits the wing seats and dramatically slows you down...it also soaks anyone sitting there which makes it miserable if its alittle chilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

first summer with my getaway as well....love it, great soloing and with friends...took out a buddy and started teaching him how to sail, I gave him the helm, figuring i could get us out of any situation as long as i was controling the sails....the wife loves it (took a nice hour sunset sail in 15K with some icy cold coronas....the 4 yr old loves it and jumping off from the front tramp....since i have a 1yr old (i dont take her on the hobie) but am considering getting a 24-26ft to do some drier day and overnight trips.....the ease and maintence free use of the hobie is great althought i do need a new JIB and Tramp....