I had the same problem, and it wasn't until I took the whole assembly apart did I find out that the plungers had both fractured. I originally had thought it was the cam assembly, and planned to do a cam overhaul (including drilling out the factory cams) - I do not have the EZ-lock system, BTW, mind are the older metal ones.
Anyways, once I got the cams out, I popped out the plungers (which are the pieces that the cam uses to compress the springs), and found that the plunger heads were nearly torn off. I realized that the springs were pretty much seized through a combination of old grease and sand.
I cleaned them all out, bought new plungers, regreased it all and put it all back together. First time out (on a pretty windy day), exact same thing happened. I took it all apart again, and found I had broken both of the new plungers.
Turned out I had overtightened the adjustment knob at the bottom of the spring shaft - the springs were too compressed, and the plungers again took the brunt. As well, the plates in the rudder housing up top were too far forward, and were not sitting in the cam nodes properly.
It's finally set up correctly now, but it was pretty trying, trying to figure out the root cause of the problem. If your cams are rotating properly, and your plungers are not broken, you may not have enough tension on the springs. Tighten the knobs on the bottom of the rudder housings in half turn increments each until they don't kick up any more.
Interestingly, it must have been set up this way from the beginning, because the person who I bought the Getaway from sold it because it was too hard to steer. What was really going on was that the rudders were not set up properly from the get go, and were always slightly off vertical.