Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Got Beach wheels?
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all - I am now the owner of a used getaway that I will need to get up a rocky beach if the tide is out. Does anyone have some beach wheels they would like to sell, or other ideas on how to handle a getaway on the beach?

Post subject: Re: Got Beach wheels?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I spent my late winter and early spring designing and building a dolly for my getaway. I used 1.5" aluminum rounded-corner tube, and bolted it alltogether. I got nice fat wheels from a garden tractor, and used 5/8" aluminum bar as the axle. If you are somewhat handy (which I am not), and have access to a drill press and a chop saw, it's fairly easy to make. My total cost was about $350.

If I could figure out how to attach/embed an image I would (see lack of handiness comment above). :?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Where are you located?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I made a set of beach wheels.
I ordered Otter dock wheels from Mill's Fleet Farm. They are 24" diameter, 9" wide with a 2" axle hole. $86 for 2 including shipping. SKU # is 006364657.
Used 4 aluminum 2" shaft clamps from McMaster Carr, $56 plus shipping, and an 8' length of 2" OD aluminum tube with .25" wall thickness from Onlinemetals.com for $107 including shipping.
I put foam pipe insulation over the piping and wrapped it with duct tape, and put a rope through the pipe, going through a tennis ball at each end of the pipe. I figure the total cost was about $250. Also got 3/4" plastic plugs from Home Depot, drilled the drain holes in the wheels to 3/4", and sealed the caps in with silicone sealant to prevent water intrusion into the wheels.
I'll post a photo next time I get them out.

It's funny, since I bought most of the options and toys for my Get: Spinnaker, wings, trap lines, marine radio, toy box, Torqeedo motor, Cheeta motor mount...but it rankled to spend $500 for Cat Trax. Although my home made ones aren't pneumatic.

Too many canoes and kayaks

Last edited by dorienc on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you're adventurous, go ahead and try to make your own. But if you just want to get out on the water, be patient and you'll find some cat trax for a decent price. I've owned 2 sets of rubber cat trax. First one cost me $150 and the second $200. I've yet to see someone build a good set on their own for less than I paid for the real thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No offense to anyone who made their own. I understand. I like to tinker but cat trax are one thing that I haven't tried to make my own. Its not that difficult to find a used set if you're quick on the draw on craigslist.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all the input folks. I will probably look on craigslist for a while and if that does not work try to make something based on the good ideas here.