Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a rather large friend (6'5" and 300+lbs.) and just noticed after sailing with him, the main trampoline seems really stretched out. It's hanging about 4 or 5 inches lower in the middle. I'm not sure if tightening the trampoline will make any real difference if the actual the fabric stretched out of shape.

What is the load bearing of the tramp fabric? I presume the overall load bearing in the boat specs assumes weight will be evenly distributed over the hulls and across the entire trampoline (up to 6 people of average weight, about 150-200lbs., or 1000lbs. total). But can the trampoline fabric handle a 300+lbs person without permanent distortion? Will tightening the trampoline fix the sag? Or do I need a new trampoline?

BTW - this is a brand new 2013 Getaway, sailed about 6 times. The tramp was tight, but after a full day of sailing with my large friend, it's now pretty loose. So bummed out about this. I don't want to tell my friend, "Sorry, you're just too big for this boat," but if the tramp can't handle his weight and needs to be replaced, I don't know what else I can do.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

It's new so I imagine the material will stretch with use...no big deal. Just retighten and go...once it gets wet again and sun baked, the tramp will even out again.