Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone. I am not sure if I am doing this right for witch I appologize in advance.
I am a beginner in sailing and I wanted to know if a Gataway is a good purchase for me possibly to learn some basics on it??? Also do I need to have some kind of permit to sail around San Francisco Bay?

Post subject: Re: Question
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow. Never sailed before? If I were you, I would take sailing lessons first and figure out if you want a cat or mono if you are sailing on SF bay. I was there last week, and I'm not certain I'd sail on the bay with my Getaway. I sailed it on Lake Michigan last year, and found I had good sailing for a very small percentage of the time. When the wind is very good, the chop really kicks up, and the cat is pretty darn small for such big waves.

I usually sail it on a 10,000 acre lake in Wisconsin, and that seems about right. I think if SF Bay were my primary water, I'd look for a smaller keelboat, like a J boat. But, this is just my un-informed opinion, as I've never sailed a small boat on the bay.

We went out on one of the Adventure Cat trips around the bay, and I thought, THIS is the boat for this water. Of course, it's way out of my price range.

Too many canoes and kayaks

Post subject: Re: Question
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sailing instruction is always a good idea, and trying different kinds of boats makes sense. But once you have some decent instruction and have dug up some good info on the currents and details of SF Bay, I think you might prefer the larger bodies of water and the rolling waves to the flat pure speed of a smaller lake.

Hobie 16's were designed to be used off the SoCal beaches and punch through waves much better than something like a Laser or Sunfish. I sailed a Hobie 16 out of San Diego's Mission Bay and through the channel into the Pacific as a kid/young man, and now for decades have sailed 16's and now a Getaway (since 2010) on Lake Michigan. Flat, high wind days are fun, but wavy high wind days are usually even more fun at least for me (not for all passengers, of course, so choose your crew to suit the weather).