Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey everybody, I just took possession of a new Getaway! This replaces my 2001 Getaway and I am looking forward to getting out on it next weekend! I sail off the beach at Galveston, Texas.

I have now had 4 cats: a Hobie 16 in the 1980s, a Trac 16 in the 1990s, and the 2 Getaways. The Hobie 16 was heavily used before I bought it and it died following a brief but exhilarating sail in 40+ winds where the the tramp corner castings were fractured from flying off the back side of the waves. The Trac 16 was a fantastic boat with amazing balance, I could ride it for long stretches up on one hull at the balance point. The rudder system was also very good and I had a spinnaker custom made for it. After a bit more than a decade I traded it on the '01 Getaway, I had been waiting for a new boat to come out with the features I like (boomless, roller furling, no daggerboards, big tramp layout, etc.). The wings were also a major selling point as these allow us to keep our faces out of the salt water spray, especially when heading out through the surf.

I guess this is a pretty big endorsement for Hobie that I am staying with the Getaway. These boats really take a pounding in the surf and keep on trucking, they are easy to rig and sail, maintenance is low, and they are just a ton of fun. Thanks Hobie (Matt Miller please pass along as appropriate), and I'll see you guys on the downwind reach! Holland.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I live in lake Jackson and am picking up a 2001 getaway this weekend. It would be great to chat with someone who could help me with rigging the boat.

1969 Glastron Alpha
2001 Hobie Getaway

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

By the way did your 01 have any cracks were the wings mount to the hull?

1969 Glastron Alpha
2001 Hobie Getaway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

What happened to your 2001?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Brady, I sent you a message with my contact details if you still want to discuss. My old boat did not have any cracks surrounding the wing/crossbar through hull openings.

Kevin, I traded my old boat at the Sailboat Shop in Austin, Tx and I heard last week he has an interested party, don't know if it sold yet.

Here is an update on the performance. As would be expected the new boat is tighter than the old one that took many years of surf beating. There are a number of small changes which are good and it sails well. While my original boat had a weather helm, this has a slight lee helm, which I believe is related to mast rake so I am experimenting with that. The hull storage lids are much better (although I did not get the 2013 upgrade) and the EZ-Loc rudder system is a huge improvement. I miss the Harken equipment, but understand that this would raise the price of the boat. The jaws for the jib cam cleats are angled somewhat down and difficult to engage from the wings (you have to use your foot to get the right angle for the jaws).

First sail out we were lucky enough to meet up with a pod of dolphin which we took as a good omen for the boat (they are usually curious and hung around for 45 min)! Last weekend we went out in a pretty big wind - maybe 15 mph with gusts to 18 judging by the whitecaps and 4-5 foot swells - and had a challenging sail. On broad reach we experienced a strong gust while I had the mainsail sheeted in and we almost pitch poled. Luckily I dumped sail in time, but I think the bottom line is that the lee hull on these boats will dig in as many on the board have discussed and you just have to watch it on the reach.

Bottom line is that we are very happy with the new boat and expect that we will get many years of fun from it! Hope everyone is having a good summer! Holland.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

Awesome! Glad you are enjoying the Hobie life!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)