Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getaway in salt water?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I normally sail in fresh water, but I brought my Getaway on vacation in Florida. It will be in salt water for two weeks. Is that long enough that I will have problems with stuff growing/attaching to the hulls? I have access to a lift, but it will take some work to adapt it to the Getaway. Not worth the trouble if two weeks is not long enough to be a problem. Any opinions on this?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I live on the water in SE Louisiana. I'm going to say that anything that sits in the water here for two weeks will already have growth on the bottom of the hull. You won't see barnacles in that short of a time, but algae will have started growing. Won't be hard to remove with pressure washer, but might leave a stain.
Best if you can pull it out of the water on land if a lift is too time consuming to adapt.

Heroes don't wear capes; they wear dog tags

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pull it out of water. The rigging will get beat to crap sitting in the water.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've been playing with boats in the ocean for 25 years or more and most of them were small enough I always pulled them up between outings. However, sometimes I'd be docked at a friends cottage for a while or moored while camping for a few days and I can tell you that I'm sure you will have soft growth occur on it over a couple of weeks. Probably just a slime that can be easily cleaned but can stain as per above. Staining is damn hard to clean. Sometimes impossible over longer periods without re-surfacing. It won't 'hurt' your boat. It just depends what you want it to look like.

I don't know if poly hulls can use anti-fouling paint but I hope you won't consider it anyways for environmental reasons. It may be a necessary evil for some boats that 'live' in the water but certainly overkill for a beach cat.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If its just a short time is there nothing that could be sprayed on the bottoms? I'm thinking some kind on industrial oil coating, rust preventer oil, hell WD40 might work, and all those could easily be washed off without leaving a stain??

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

No offense but instead of slime on your boat, you're going to leave a shiny trail of industrial slime behind you everywhere you go. Unless someone comes along to recommend a proper product... not cool.

Maybe there is a product though. I only know of the heavy anti-foul paint stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Matt, does Hobie have an opinion on this? Since the Getaway is plastic rather than fiberglass, how does it stand up to saltwater? Is two weeks long enough to cause growth that can't be easily washed off?