Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Polyethylene Hull
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Last fall I purchased a used Getaway. The previous, previous owner had cut a square hole in the top of the hull to install a battery and covered it with a cooler cover. With the battery and wires now removed I want to restore the hull to it's original condition. Does any one know where I can get a piece of polyethylene - maybe 18 inches by 18 inches, 1/8 inch thick. I have found a plastic welder to do the job, just no materials. Any leads or advice appreciated. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Polyethylene Hull
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:09 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

As far as I know, it cannot be done (welding a Getaway hull). It's made from cross-linked polyethylene.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can order polyethylene sheet from mcmaster carr.
I would not try to weld it. I would use silicone and either rivets or wood screws to secure the panel to the hull.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I guess cross-linked polyethylene in short is called PEX, and most PEX is made from HDPE - high density Polyethylene. Over the last couple years plastic welding has also been perfected now to where a plastic rod is heated and used to 'weld' /melt plastic joints together. But I agree with srm, I do want to make sure it's strong. I'll have to use some kind of backing to feel confident. The plastic welder I found usually works on rotomolded kayaks. I still have some time to figure this out. Thanks for the input so far.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:21 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

From the Wiki page on PEX:
Quote:
PEX is also used in many canoes and kayaks. The PEX is listed by the name Ram-X, and other brand specific names. Because of the properties of Cross-Linked Polyethylene, repair of any damage to the hull is rather difficult. Some adhesives, such as 3M's DP-8005, are able to bond to PEX, while larger repairs require melting and mixing more Polyethylene into the canoe/kayak to form a solid bond and fill the damaged area.

Last edited by MBounds on Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes, I saw this article as well - and a bunch more on the different types of polyethelyne. And I have since found out that the PEX used for the Getaway (and Wave I suppose) is the un-weldable type. So it looks like I'm stuck with riveting a board underneath the hole and filling it with a piece of cross-linked poly to level it out with the deck or fastening/glueing a hatch into the hole ($100 from Hobie). If I fill in the hole, I'd want it to be as strong as the original deck. Hmmm....