Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking at buying a new Getaway for the spring. Every single dealer I talk to are trying to steer me away from the Trailex / Hobie Aluminum trailer. Some say: I hear they are cracking. Others go "its expensive and the galvanized trailer I have is better and cheaper.
Couldn't find from any of them a crear reason why the Trailex trailer isn't as good as the galvanized ones, but I am really looking forward to some of the features of an Aluminum trailer. Most of all, I am really hoping to be able to handle the boat by hand with it. The Aluminum trailer for Getaway I believe is 200 lbs. The boat is 400 lbs. 600 lbs together is a little much, but maybe with 2-3 people I can roll it around for what I need (30 - 50 feet). Maybe with a little dolly on the hitch?
Anyone with a Getaway on the Trailex trailer ever tried to move them by hand?
A Cat Trax is $700 here too ... And that wouldn't be a walk in the park either, maybe.
Any advices?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have two of the Trailex trailers. They work fine and have held up well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a Trailex as well as galvanized trailers. The main advantage of the aluminum trailer is weight savings. The reason I went with an aluminum trailer was because I downsized to a four-cylinder tow vehicle and wanted to drop some weight. So far the Trailex has held up fine, in fact we have even driven it across the country fully loaded with gear (beyond the 500 LB maximum) with no issues.

Honestly, if I had a six or eight cylinder vehicle, I would stick with a solid galvanized steel trailer. A good one will likely be a bit more rigid than the Trailex (less flexing), they're less expensive, and they last a long time. It's a bit of a toss up really, both materials have their advantages.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can you handle the Getaway with 2 people on a Trailex trailer?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can't answer about the trailex trailer, but I have a Getaway on a steel galvanized Genesis trailer and I have no problem rolling it around by myself. When I roll it it up the drive (which has a slight uphill slope) into the garage, there's a 1 inch lip I have to bump it over, and my wife helps me there, but I can get the boat and trailer over the lip by myself with a little momentum.
I do have a folding dolly wheel on the hitch. I have that on my very lightweight canoe trailers too, because it just makes them easier to handle, instead of trying to support the weight of the tongue of the trailers and pull them around. Just remember to fold it up before you start trailering...yes, there's a story there. :oops:

If you are trying to beach launch it by hand from the trailer? More of matter of the trailer tires sinking into the sand, I think. I made a beach dolly for about $250. I bought the aluminum tube from OnlineMetals.com, the collets from McMaster-Carr, and the pier wheels from Mill's Fleet Farm.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/100085529 ... 017809482/

Too many canoes and kayaks

Last edited by dorienc on Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a galvanized trailer with a front wheeled stand and I can move mine around alone. I've moved it into & out of my garage or onto my concrete patio with little difficulty. However, that's all on flat concrete. It sounds like you're thinking of beach launching with the trailer? If that's the case it probably depends more on the beach than if you save a few pounds on the trailer. One person might be able to launch from a shallow sloped hard sand beach, but three people would have no chance on a steep muddy beach.

-Rowdy