Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacing Rigging
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a 2007 Getaway. I replaced the shroud wires last year and am planning on replacing the forestay this year. I was wondering if I need to replace the bridle wires and forestay assembly (shackle, swivel and yoke) as well?

Post subject: Re: Replacing Rigging
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:49 pm 
Site Admin

Bridles and any other wire (pigtail) supporting the mast would be good... but...

Seems shrouds fail much more often that forestays and bridles. Likely because they warp around the unwrap from the mast on each tack. Forestays and bridles stay in column, so get less fatigue.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the input Matt. Now I'm not sure I need to replace the forestay. Does anyone out there have a story about a forestay or bridle failing on a Getaway?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I purchased my Getaway new in 2006, I have never replaced any of the standing rigging but I do a very close inspection of all the rigging every year. I only sail in fresh water and because the boat in is the northern shield I can only sail May through Sept. Never considered changing any of the shrouds because of there age.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Bridles and any other wire (pigtail) supporting the mast would be good... but...

Seems shrouds fail much more often that forestays and bridles. Likely because they warp around the unwrap from the mast on each tack.

That and they may become kinked in storage. Stainless wire shrouds can last a very long time if cared for properly and inspected at least annually. Look for birdcaging (where there is space inside the twist); check the connectors (swages) especially at the crimp and especially at the lower swage (water collects and penetrates there)--failure there is often by stress corrosion; lay the wire out and check for any permanent kinks. If all those things are good, keep using them.

I've personally become fond of new high tech line instead of stainless steel rigging. It is lighter and more flexible and has no swages (I brummel splice onto a sailmakers thimble)...It does, however, fail without warning unlike stainless. I've been dismasted in boats 5 different times in 10 years. All five were with stainless steel rigging. After I switched to Vectran rigging, no dismastings for five years (I did change the rigging every 3 years just to be safe--the line rigging will stretch a little the first few uses, so you have to plan for that).

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II