Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all,

What are you preferred methods for righting a capsized getaway? Simple Hobie bag, Murray righting system? Pole?

I am 185lbs and feel close to being to right it without assistance...

Cheers,

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I weigh about the same. I use the stock righting line with righting bag and it works very well. I have righted my Getaway 3 or 4 times with no trouble. With two adults you don't need the bag, I might even be able to right it solo with out the bag, but I've never tried it. I've never flipped the boat expect on purpose to teach kids how to right it, and once to try out the bag.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

great, I will look into getting a simple bag setup. Is it possible to carry it under the tramp? will one of those flat square tramp bags fit the bad and install underneath the tramp?

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just last week we took our first spill. I was super worried that I would be stuck out there but following the instructions and getting the wind to help, it came up quite easily. You can see my son in the below video but I don't think he was helping much until it was already coming over then he started to pull on the line.

I'm 185 pounds and only 5-10 so I'm wondering if you need anything at all. Now if I didn't have the wind to help... I'm not sure what would have happened.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

To answer your question about storage... I keep my bag inside one of cooler/hatches, but this is not the greatest location as you a have to open the hatch and spill out other contents to retrieve it. None the less, that is what I do, like I said I've never needed the righting bag. You also need a length of rope to go along with your right bag.