Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've finally made the decsion to buy a Getaway. I was wondering if I could get some advice from you Getaway owners. Should I get the Wings or Trapeze for the Getaway? If I get the wings, would I need the trapeze? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:03 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
the getaways we sell w/o wings always come back and get them. usually after there on the beach next to someone that bought them the 1st time around! I'd get the wings unless you just want that feeling of flying over the water in the trap. Wings are user friendly for 99% of the population, trap wires are as well but take a bit of learning to get acquainted to them

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Much appreciated! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wings and trap man....Hobie doesn't recommend it but we still do it.

If you want to go with just one...Def. the wings...makes the boat very comfortable

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I love the wings, the only thing that sucks is when your out in a good blow, as the boat starts to heal the leeward seat gets into the water and quickly slows the boat down and throws up a lot of spray.

Post subject: to wing or not to wing!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Read my reply on getaway spinnakers!
I used to sail with the wings but took them off a while ago.I use my boat for carrying commercial passengers and the extra buoyancy and speed without the wings is great. Plus two up can be sailed f16 style and is a real buzz in a blow!
You've probably got them by now but you then have the option to leave them on or take them off as you please, having wings will also help with resale value later on down the track!
My humble opinion is if I could go back, I would not have purchased the wing kit, but it all depends on what you want from your boat?
From Tasmania's only getaway sailor!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have to Getaways one with traps and no wings and one with wings. The one with the traps only is fun, fast and wet. Wings are slower harder to trap from. Either way is great depends on how you want to sail. I tend like to sail on the edge in heavy wind so I like traps and no wings. Have fun!

Post subject: Wings
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I sailed my brand new Getaway this past weekend for the first time. First off all I can say is wow what a boat. Now about the wings. The first thing I noticed was the edge of the wings iare angled so it makes a perfect bakrest when sitting on the boat. I also loved sitting up on the wings undersail. My daughter used the trap with the wings a few times and loved it. I am glad I decided to get the wings I think it makes the boat a larger boat and this is important if you take out a crew of 3 or more. Finally this is one cool boat I have only sailed it once in a light winds but I know it will be a blast in stronger winds I cant wait to push it.

Good luck with your new boat!
Tony Prescott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

the only thing bad about the wings is when you get going fast the spray hits them and slows you down.......you're right about the backrests...thats my dad's favorite part...said sailing wouldnt be pleasurable without the backrests

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've got the wings as well and love them because they make sailing more comfortable especially when you have passengers who just want to kick back and not get soaked. As others have said, though, they do slow you down once you heel a bit. An unfortunate side effect.

Also, a word of warning on the trap w/ the wings. We've been doing that a bit and we had an incident: in a rather strong wind we ended up submarining the leeward pontoon, which throws the person on the trap forward -- and they have nowhere for their feet to go. So, even though a pitchpole was avoided, I'm not sure we ended up better off. The crew ended up swining into the forestay and he had a big chunk taken out of his leg -- needed stitches and all. Since then, I've been looking for solutions to this seemingly inevitable problem. There doesn't seem to be a "safe" way to trap. Sure, we can avoid sinking the rail, pitchpoling, or capsizing but find me a sailor who doesn't do one of those and I'll show you someone who's not sailing on the edge :-) Our goal is to be able to survive such an incident and even have fun with it. About the only suggestion I've run across it installing windsurfer style footstraps on the tramp. Although this does sound a bit safer, I worry about what would happen if we ended up getting blown over and capsize. Would the crew get out of the footstraps (and if so, where do they land :-)).

Anyway, we've certainly learned to avoid sinking the leeward rail. That's relatively simple to do and heading up will pull the crew back, not forward which helps as well.

If anyone has experience to share in this area, I'm all ears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

leeward bow sinks...turn into the wind...away makes it worse...fast.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are you sure about heading up in a blow?
Doesn't that tend to 'rotate' the Hobie, almost guaranteeing a capsize?
We usually train our rookies to sheet out, traveller out, and head off.
A lot of the time, this is an 'it depends' situation, as wave action, closeness of other vessels or rocks, how many crew fell off etc can play a part.
In a general sense, if the downwind wing is digging in, then the boat is not being sailed efficiently. Faster often means sailing 'flatter,' and our 'ideal' is that the upwind hull is just kissing the water. However, if you are going for thrills, expect spills. Whichever your style, good to read that folks are enjoying the Hobie way of life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i've always turned into the wind....the couple times i tried turning downwind quickly ended.....quite dramatically....plus ive always read on these forums to turn into the wind. this is of course when you are sailing perpendicular to the wind....anything downwind of perp. just powers up the sail...

but yes a combination of sheeting out and turning whichever way works best for the situation.