Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: getaway spinnaker!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Got your attention didn't it!!
Been reading the spinnaker mods for the getaway, I too am waiting patiently "grrrr" for hobie to make a kite for the getaway with your own choice of custom colours.
It's good to see the h16 hardware fits on without much hassle. Now just a couple of points probably not touched on before.
the boats modified with a kite have the wing kits attached, I sail my getaway without the wing kit and front trampoline, the performance of the getaway like this is exhilarating in strong winds, and resembles in a way my old australian cobra design." which in my opinion is the best 16 foot racing design around!".Anyway! WHEN hobie makes a kite for the getaway could the designers please consider fitting one to a getaway without the wing kit and front trampoline, as I noticed that the blocks were riveted to the wings on the modified boat, so perhaps a fitting bolted in the rear beam where the wing goes would be appropriate. Or, as the Australian mosquito association have done they attach a special block system to the shroud adjusters.
You can find the details of the mosquito and cobra spinnaker mods on the mosquito website in Australia. The mozzie kite I have found out could be fitted to a getaway as well, I have done the measurements and there would be little modifying to be done, and the kite seems to be the right size as well so no recutting would have to be done, This site does have some helpfull info and worth checking out regarding the spinnaker kits on 16 footers.
I am about to start racing my getaway now that I have found out what makes it tick and would be thrilled to blow other boats away with a kite kit.
And if any of you getaway sailors get the chance, try sailing your getaway without the wings and front tramp, two up with crew on trapeze in a good blow, you'll see what I mean by exhilarating!!
From Tasmania's only Getaway sailor!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I really like the wing seats on the getaway, at 60yrs old its a little tough to get out on the wire. The only draw back to the seats is that when the boat starts to heal the leeward seat goes into the water and slows the boat down. I thought of putting a couple of short pieces of shock cord to keep the seats in the folded up position and would only move out when you sat on it. Don't know if this would work or not. I sail almost all the time solo so the chute would be too much too handle by myself.

Post subject: wings & a chute
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I also like the wings but,... there is a problem with the lower support hinge dragging the boat speed down like an anchor if the boat begins to heel. That even makes flying a hull more unstable because waves will brake your boat and cause more pressure on your sail. I wish the hinges were either recessed or had some sort of smooth shield to divert the water. I really like the idea of a spinnaker or even a jenny just to get some down wind speed. I think this would be one fallacy that this boat has. Well,...two if you count the wing supports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hmmmm.....maybe a fin like protrusion cover that snaps on the that wing base.

Post subject: spinnaker
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I too had the same problem with my wings, they tend to dig a hole and slow the boat right down. Plus the fact the boat is really heavy to move around the beach by yourself, good way to give yourself a hernia!!
Try sailing without the wings with 3 people on board, it works pretty well for me. And sailing by yourself with wings, what do you do if you capsize?
I can't right my boat when I have the float on top and no wings, tough one!
I have sailed and capsized without the wings and mast float and righted the boat easily, however, I did completely invert it without the float and it took 3 junior sailors, myself and a southerly chop to get her back on her side!
As for the spinnaker, I am not sure hobie is listening to us getaway sailors??
Hey Matt Miller, what about 2 options for a spinnaker, to fit it to a boat with wings, and without wings???As you know I sail mine without front tramp and wings so another way of attaching blocks etc would have to be considered?????
From Tasmania's only getaway sailor!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:03 am 
Site Admin

I don't have a spinnaker kit planned for the Getaway. Best solution is a convereted H16 kit.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)