Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm going to start storing (for 1-3 weeks at a time) my Getaway with the mast up on some grass next to the beach. I was not planning to cover it or do anything to the mast or shrouds for storage.

Is there anything I should do to it while storing it on the beach. I've never done this since I've always just kept it on a trailor with the mast down.

Thanks, Doug

Post subject: Beach storage
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:42 am 
Site Admin

Be sure the shroud shackle is tight and the safety wire is in place. Likewise for the trapeze wire shackle if you have trapeze.

Be sure all fittings are snug around the boat.

Sitting mast up over a long period can work these things loose from the constant motion and or vibration caused by the wind. I would also wrap a line around the mast base and pull then tie off to something to keep the mast rotated to one side. That keeps it from swinging around during the period you leave it.

Be sure the jib cover is used. You could use the main halyard and wrap it around the jib cover (round and round) to take out any looseness that would work free if the wind comes up.

Tie off the rudders to keep them from swinging around.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And I'd be sure that the boat is firmly tied down (we recommend a minimum of two auger stakes). I've had to repair too many customer boats that were tossed in storms.

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I bury a large concrete construction block under the front and rear crossbar, slightly off center. Run chain through each before burying and leave about a foot of chain above the sand. Connect ratchet style tie down strap to front chain and run acroos the boat to the back chain. Tighten up. You must tie these boats down!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a paddlelock and min 3 cinderblocks. This avoids any nighttime joyriders who after a 12 pak want o go out and float on something. My front tramp is off so i can wrap the chain around the middle crossbar.
My chain has about a 5 foot length out of the sand and an old tee shirt wrapped around the crossbar before wrapping the chain to avoid scratches. Boy do i miss a dolphin striker when anchoring down.

The rudders do come off very easy and take no time at all. Get an extra set of bushings in case one falls off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Our fleet stores all of our boats tied down to the beach.

1. Leave your plugs either loose or open so that the heating and cooling of the day doesn't damage anything. Air can escape that way.

2. Make sure when you are done sailing, empty any water out of your hulls.

3. It doesn't hurt to batten down anything loose. Just extra wear and tear on your rig.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

i left mine on the beach last summer...3 buried cinders with 10' of chain...i leave the hull plugs loose for air/water flow....this year i will also bury an anchor and attach that as well to another point on the boat...it got tossed pretty well durning 1 nor'easter last summer and the jib halyard snapped and my jib tore ....