Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks a lot for the info.

Pejnielsen - I have a galvanized trailer.
Please post to let us all know what you think of the mast raising system once you get it and have time to test it out.

Dick - Thanks for the detailed description of your setup. Sounds very slick. I'm with Cezar...It would be great to see a few photos of your rig, if possible.
My mast stand does not have a stop, per se. I have a piece of carpet wrapped/taped at the point where the boat's cross member hits the stand...a "poor man's bumper" I guess you could call it. But the crossbar is up against the stand, which I'm assuming is all that matters, correct?

The other question: Where are you attaching your winch line to the mast for raising?

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

dolfnfan / Cezar

Here is a link to some pictures of the system I made:

http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare ... =121050568

I hope this works and you can see them. If not, e-mail me by pushing the e-mail icon on the bottom of one of my posts, and I'll respond directly. I'm a bit of a perfectionist (drives my wife crazy), so I tried to come up with something clean, functional, and safe. So far, I'm pleased with the results. Hope this helps.

Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A warning to all... Snapfish sells your personal information. I created a throw-away mail account from my home domain to "join" Snapfish. Within two months, the barrage of SPAM was overwhelming.

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

DOLFNFAN

The winch is attached to the mast stand a little above the level of the front cross bar. It doesn't seem to put a signifcant strain on the mast stand when raising the mast. I attach the winch cable/rope to the jib wire to raise the mast. Once the mast is up I continue to lean on the mast while the winch grinder releases the jib wire fron the winch cable and attaches it to the bridle through the furling drum. You could use the main halyard to hold the mast up (cleat it to the mast and tie the other end to the front crossbar), then you can go forward to help attach the jib wire. This can be done by one but is much easier with a second pair of hands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

dolfnfan / Cezar

I tried the Snapfish link when I sent it, but it must have worked because I was on the same computer. Tried it just now from work, and it just takes me to my sign in page. Now I find out they sell your information. The day couldn't get any better. E-mail me if you want the pictures, and I'll reply directly to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks a million for the photos, Dick. Very helpful. That's a great setup you've got there. My mast stand is not quite as nice as yours as I do not have the large bumper/stop assembly. Did that come with your trailer or did you buy that aftermarket? I really like it...I've never seen one quite like it before.

Bob123, thanks for the details. That's just the info I needed.

Thank you both for taking the time to reply.

PS - No worries on the snapfish thing. I have a junk email account that I use specifically for stuff like that!

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jeff,

Glad you were able to see the pictures. I neglected to tell you how I attach the winch to the mast. Like bob123, I have a clevis on the winch line that I use to hook to the jib. Once the mast is almost vertical, I use the main halyard to pull it taught, and use the cleat you saw on the side of the crutch to tie off the halyard. Then the mast is secure, and all you have to do is disconnect the winch line and connect the jib. If possible, I try to park with the bow of the boat sloping down hill, and then you have gravity working for you as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dick,

Thanks for the added info.

Was your bumper/stop OEM with the trailer, or is it aftermarket?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jeff,

The trailer came this way when we purchased the boat. It is built by Carnai: http://www.carnai.com/index.html You may be able to contact them for the parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How do you keep the mast turned sideways during raising it up? The remote control seems like has a short cable so I assume that you stand close to the winch. Do you have someone on the top of the tramp to do it for you? Someone earlier mentioned a special clamp put on the mast to maintain the right position of the mast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Cezar,

It's a two person job. One on the boat holding the mast sideways at shoulder height to start, and one on the ground at the crutch pushing the button. I have no plans to ever sail alone, so this works for me. I noticed that Harbor Freight had a winch with a wireless remote that would be handy if you were raising the mast by yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all,

This is my first post, so be gentle. :roll:

I've read through the months of messages on this string, but haven't seen an actual review of the Hobie Mast Stepper III. Is it out now? Has anyone used it that could share their review?

This forum has been very informative - thanks to Matt and everyone for sharing their experiences. Based on reading this forum, I've decided to purchase a Getaway (actually my first boat ever) for my first sailing experience (besides a Sunfish as a kid). I plan to outfit it with wings as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Lake,
If you don't mind some constructive criticism, you should access the hca-na.org website and locate the nearest Hobie fleet, or let us know where you are and we can have someone contact you. Your local Hobie members will be more than willing to help and offer advice...you might not be able to get rid of the buggers once you accept, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:09 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
I spoke with Matt Miller about this yesterday. He was unsure what the hold up was but it was going to be his project for the day. I am sure he will let us know as soon as something new happens.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject: Mast Raising
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I found that by counter winding a single turn on the main halyard that it stops the problem with the mast turning away from the side position. I used a mast support mounted hand winch last summer and a pulley positioned at the top of the support to reduce the stress on the assembly. My wife would operate the winch crank and I would lift the mast up to my shoulder. The mast didn't twist and it was easy to just control the side to side motion. I looked at the electric winches but didn't see a good way to adapt to my trailer. After seeing the pics on snapfish, I think I'll revisit this issue.

There were comments earlier about welds breaking on galvanized trailers. The filler metal used on the weld has a minimum of 60,000# of strength. The only way the weld will break if if it's not properly welded.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next