Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought a Hobie Getaway 2003 model recently and I have a question about mast raising.
There is a bolt on the main(centre) beam with a plastic ball mounted on the top.
The base of the mast sits on this ball.
If you put the base of the mast on the ball the mast base fouls the main beam.The mast has to be rotated 90 degrees to avoid the mast hitting the beam as it is raised or lowered.
Is it possible to use a longer bolt with the ball mounted a little higher to avoid this problem?

I am also looking at a new front trampoline-I live in Queensland,Australia and am yet to get a price for a new trampoline and have considered using fishing net(the strong commercial stuff) as a substitute.
Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Thanks
Peter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It's supposed to be rotated 90 deg like that.

When taking it down, make sure to rotate in the right direction so that the mast retaining pin can be taken out from the top.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Peter,

I was wondering where u live in Queensland, as I also have an '03 getaway. fancy a sail?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I live in Maryborough Q (the seaside town for us is Hervey Bay) Make contact here and tell me a few details about yourself-always keen to meet people who have a common interest.I had a Farrier Trailer Tri but am now sick of the weight and the mast height etc-getting older-I am 65 and strangely I don't seem as strong and fit as I once was.Before buying the Getaway I hired one on 2 occasions and loved how it sails.Am also a member of a sailing club in Hervey Bay where I help out with races on the safety boat or as timekeeper on the start boat.I have had a bit to do with racing boats such as Taipans through the club and soon realised that they are too sporty for cruising.

I think buying the Getaway was the right decision for what I want to do however when the wind and waves are up it seems a bit small for the job-the answer is to only go out in moderate conditions I suppose.Thanks for your interest and I look forward to hearing more about your interests in sailing.
Regards
Peter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Peter,

I live in Noosa, and we bought our Getaway 2nd hand a couple months ago and are extremely pleased with it. Before we bought it, we were up at the Whitsundays and sailed the smaller Wave several times, and really enjoyed it. We usually sail on the Noosa River, but are wanting to explore the lakes around, as well as the ocean. Im 15 and my brother and I with 2 friends are hoping to buy a Hobie 16 and join in at hobie nationals next year. We are members of the Noosa Yacht and Rowing Club and are sailing instructors there, teaching younger and older children how to sail.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was on the start boat for the Hobie 16 championships this year(held at Hervey Bay sailing club at Torquay) and saw some really good sailors getting the most out of those older boats.I realised they were not the cruising boat for me when I saw one capsize backwards-somehow the crew and skipper got to the rear of the tramp and the sails were backwinded and it went under from the rear. It all got a bit complicated when the boat following ran over the top of them. It is a tribute to the toughness of Hobie boats that they both got upright again and went on as before.
Just down the beach 100m from the sailing club is a boat hire/cafe place where I hired the Getaway to try it out before I bought one for myself.They also hire a Wave and the bloke who supervises the boating activities says the Wave is a dog to sail compared to the Getaway so I got lucky there and bought the right one.

My son and partner are out on the Getaway at the moment and will probably return tomorrow.Some of the nice camps/sails around here are from River Heads over to Kingfisher Bay where you can camp on the boat on the beach(shops and hot showers,toilets and water avaliable)
Another nice trip is to put in at the sailing club from off the beach at Torquay and sail over to Platypus Bay and camp in some of the creeks there(the creeks run fresh at low tide so you can wash in the fresh-even drink the water if you fancy tho there are a few campers there at present.
The idea is to have plenty of dry food in case the weather goes bad plus a camping stove & spare fuel.(a mosquito net and mosq coils help at dawn and dusk)

The sails over are in fairly open water for an hour or two so caution is needed.Leave reasonably early before the wind gets up.
I see by your age that your parents would have to tow the boat around-if you like to come up here we can provide local knowledge and a place in Maryborough to leave a car and trailer but perhaps that is not what you have in mind.

As far as we are concerned a trip to Noosa and some sailing in the river and those lakes is in our mind for later on-at the moment Christmas is on us with family here and we are tied up.

Our phone contact is 41212748-my wifes name is Rhonda-she also sails but dislikes rough weather(so do I )

Regards
Peter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

we were looking at going camping, and im quite like the idea of going across to fraser island in a hobie. Maryborough sounds good but the only thing is it's quite a drive. And the same with us, Christmas is here and we also have family here. Looking forward to the rest of the summer tho, and may be out sailing on xmas day or boxing day if we're lucky, thats if i get a day off from teaching at the noosa yacht club! this week im working 5 days 11-5.30, but its enjoying and the best job any one could ask for.

Merry Xmas! Cameron

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes,keep in touch-weather is bad at the moment as well as the Christmas thing.Fraser Is is a nice place to sail however there are issues with mud and sandflies if you are unfamiliar with the place-also a bit of a tourist trap in places.

My visitors have abandoned the water and gone walking on Fraser Is now due to the Mary R flooding(lots of mud flowing down into the straits) and the Mary R is a bit dangerous with floating logs & debris.
Regards
Peter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yeah the weather here is a little depressive. We've been to Fraser many times before, but not for sailing purposes.