Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just purchased new shroud and forestay cables. When changing the forestay, I noticed my new cable had an open cable protector at the location where the jib ties. The old cable had a closed cable protector. I was concerned with the string wearing on the sharp edges of the cable protector so I was thinking of using a shackle. See below... Are there better ways to do this?

New forestay:

End of old forestay

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No harm done in using a shackle. I have to say you are WAY overkill on the line wraps and tie off. That line sees just jib luff tension which is only a couple hundred pounds. I used a single 1/8" dyneema line-which was still overkill. What is that "thing" between the swivel and the cable eye? Did that come with the forestay? Odd.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I haven’t had it long. The wraps are just extra line length. There is a rubber tube slid on the yoke. I assume it was to pad the edges. I was thinking I would replace with a single line as you have mentioned. My concern was the sharp edges of the cable connector, as the old one was solid; not a sharp wedge. Shackle was an idea I had but I’ve struggled to find any photos of how the top ties together. I figured I was overthinking it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For me, the "thing" between the forestay eye and swivel eye is superfluous. I'd replace that "thing" with a shackle and tie the line to that shackle. Perhaps Hobie puts that there instead of making the forestay the right length. Truthfully, the getaway forestay rigging is somewhat of a kluge. It works, but isn't elegant or state of the art.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That piece between, without the rubber tube, is a listed part in the forestay swivel section. When I look it up by part number, they call it a yoke. Removing the yoke and using a shackle would be cleaner and no sharp edge. I think I’ll do that. Thank you. I ordered some Dyneema for tying the jib.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You are reducing the length of the forestay by the difference in lengths of the yoke vs. the shackle you use. So may have to use a different hole at the adjuster.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Since you mention that... The shrouds; one was at the bottom hole of adjuster and the other at second from bottom; the forestay has the 10 hole shroud adjuster like parts book shows... Makes me wonder the proper angle of the mast and just how tight the mast should be with the 3 cable adjustment. I assume the angle of mast is probably to help keep the weight to the rear. Any insight on the tightness or angle? Thank you!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For me, the helm was most neutral with the mainsheet nearly two blocked when going to weather with breeze in the teens. The shrouds were close to the bottom holes (and my rig wasn't overly tight). The angle of the rig helps the boat to point higher - especially with one ama just out of the water which is optimal trimming for going to weather.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II