Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is the motor mount for the Getaway sold in the Hobie catalog the Cheata motor mount or does Hobie have its own? If the later, does anyone have one? Is it nice?

I'm looking to get an electric motor for my cat just for channels and in case I run into the Doldrums - I plan to use it rarely and, in fact, not have a motor mounted on it unless I need it. I'm looking at the new Torqueedo (sp?) motor sold by West Marine. A sweet, compact, self-contained, use it only when you need it solution (but the price needs a LOT of help :-))

Anwyay, I've seen the posts and pictures of people's Cheata mounts and none have gone too "smoothly" it seems. It has been a while so I'm thinking there must be a mount made for this boat by now...

Post subject: Motor Mount
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:25 pm 
Hobie Team Member

They are one in the same. The mount sold for the Getaway is somewhat generic in fit. It fits better with the crossbar than the earlier versions, but it will need some additional work. I worked with my dealer's repair guru one afternoon to make the modifications, and it came out perfect. We had to cut down the brackets some, and do some filing. It now fits tight, nothing extending past the crossbar, looks custom. I'll post some pictures soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info. I'm just astonished that a $400+ piece of aluminum isn't custom designed for the boat. I'm planning to go to a local metal shop and have them make me something for a lot less. I'm interested in photos though so if you do get them posted...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Probably you've seen it before but here is a webpage I created with all the information I found about Cheata: http://www.grigorof.com/cheata.htm