Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was practicing raising my 2005 Getaway mast with a friend, and the pin that secures the mast popped out, and the mast tip came crashing down. So glad it didn't break the CompTip.

Starting to raise it again, and at about 30 degrees, BAM! The ball holding the mast split in two, and the mast tip came crashing down again.

We are so fortunate that the tip didn't break, but between the pin popping out and then the ball that holds the base of the mast breaking, I am a little spooked.

Where do I go to get a new ball and a new pin?

How can I know that when I do, this won't happen again?

All I want to do is sail my sweet boat. All I want to do...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The pin is there as an added safety measure, but if you keep some forward pressure on the mast when raising and lowering, you don’t even need the pin. I’m surprised that the pin would just fall out because gravity should be holding it into the base until the mast is nearly vertical. But again, even if the pin does come out, the mast won’t jump off of the step as long as you keep it rotated and keep some forward pressure on it. If you put a clevis ring on both endsof the pin before stepping, then it definitely won’t come out.

The mast ball splitting in half is something I’ve never heard of happening. I guess it’s possible that the ball was defective, or maybe UV damaged if it sat out in the sun for many years. I wouldn’t be too concerned with just replacing the ball with a new one and sailing it. Maybe check the inside of the mast base to see if there’s a burr or something that is damaging/overloading the ball.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the hints. I think the ball was UV damaged. The threads on the post are intact, so it should be fine. Nothing in the mast base...

A new ball and pin are on their way from West Coast Sailing.

Hopefully, we will be sailing soon!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just checking, but do you have the mast the proper direction when raising it? The mast should be horizontal to the boat, i.e. the sail track groove is facing outwards, not facing down towards the ground when you start to lift?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:35 am 
Site Admin

Easy to see if this was a cause. Look for the tread marks from the post gouging into the slot on the side of the casting. If not held at 90 degrees... the post threads digging into the casting can leverage the mast off the ball.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes, it was with the mast horizontal. There were gouges on the ball.

Everyday, I try to learn, so forgive the (maybe) silly question. When I raise the mast in the horizontal position, when do I rotate it so the round part is in the front? At least, by the top, if you push it forward, it will turn due to the back stays.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Once you have it vertical, you can rotate it.