Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I recently purchased a used 2004 Hobie Getaway and hope to be enjoying it soon. As expected, it needed a few things and I've just about gotten it seaworthy. I replaced all the lines, the wing covers, tramps and all lacing (oem Hobie main, aftermarket fore). The only thing left to replace is the jib. The original has two seams that the thread has failed and the previous owner duct taped it...which is not acceptable in my book. My question is, do the production OEM sails ever stop being produced? Are they part of a "run" which eventually become obsolete? If so, I'd like to chose some of the later colors from a newer model so that when the main sail needs replacement, they'll match. Or, is the turquoise colored jib and matching mains going to be produced indefinitely? If so, I'll stick with the same colors I have since I like them. Thanks for info in advance and apologies for my ignorance about Hobies...its my first one. ;-)

https://goo.gl/photos/qiwDBj4YAwEx2xGG7

Last edited by owtcast on Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I can't really answer your questions regarding production. From what I can tell they're new every year. There is a company called The Sail Store that sells jibs for the Getaway at the best price I've found. You can also choose a solid color. Likely should make matching simple.

It says it takes up to 4 weeks to ship. I'd recommend also taking the jib to a place near you that may be able to restitch it for you. Would hate for you to have to wait so long to take her out.

http://www.thesailstore.com/fits-hobie- ... p-414.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the response and info, Matt.
I ended up talking with some people from our local yacht club about the seam stitching issues. After a few minutes of discussion and a margarita or two, I now have some new friends, a club membership and a jib with complete new stitching. It turned out that a couple of people in the club had sailrite sewing machines and were glad to offer their expertise. Once they started on the failed seams they decided that since all the stitching was the same age that the rest would probably have issues soon after. So they restitched the entire sail. The fabric was in good shape which made me wonder why the stitching had failed "early". No worries now though. :wink: I'll post up pics when I sort out a new photo host provider. (Photobucket has turned tail :evil: )

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

owtcast wrote:
The fabric was in good shape which made me wonder why the stitching had failed "early". No worries now though. :wink: I'll post up pics when I sort out a new photo host provider. (Photobucket has turned tail :evil: )

The fabric didn't fail because it is dacron-which is a compacted and coated polyester. The stitching however, while it is polyester, is likely not coated so is subject to UV degradation. Dunno what gage thread they used but even if V-69, it doesn't last forever. Further, the seams on the leach and foot of the jib are continually stretched and loosened with both sailing loads and furling loads. 13 years is a long time for seams.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tpdavis473 wrote:
owtcast wrote:
The fabric was in good shape which made me wonder why the stitching had failed "early". No worries now though. :wink: I'll post up pics when I sort out a new photo host provider. (Photobucket has turned tail :evil: )

The fabric didn't fail because it is dacron-which is a compacted and coated polyester. The stitching however, while it is polyester, is likely not coated so is subject to UV degradation. Dunno what gage thread they used but even if V-69, it doesn't last forever. Further, the seams on the leach and foot of the jib are continually stretched and loosened with both sailing loads and furling loads. 13 years is a long time for seams.

I'll buy that explanation. Makes sense to me. :mrgreen: