Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oops, I Did It Again....
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Last saturday I wanted to see how far I can push the boat flying the hull and I tipped over. I would like to know what is the easiest way to get on the hull. I see two possibilities- from the front or using the line under the forward cross bar.
I chose the second option- grabbed the line,put my feet over the hull and pulled myself on the top of it. The problem was that wind was blowing so hard that the boat was moving and initilally I couldn't swim the mast against the wind. I got exhausted after three attempts- the boat went over me once and the second time the wind pushed it back.
Last night I had an idea to try to get on it from the front by holding the front crossbar and pull myself on it.- it is very slippery and there is nothing to hold on to.
Anybody tried that?
I furled the jib, released the main, but after fighting the boat and trying to turn it, my 200+ lbs. took over and my arms gave up.
Looking for tips for next time.The weather was 15-20 mph.

Tips for everybody- when the opposite wing gets under the water this is the highest you can fly the hull.... :wink: After the plunge immediately grab the boat. Because of the tight tramp and closed space between hulls and itself it will take off on you. especially with the wind like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just kind've slide on like a whale on the bow...but im also 21 and 150lb

As far as pointing it into the wind......I have my partner stand on the bow..and i just basically hold on to the top of the mast...The partners weight sinks the bow a bit and creates a pivot point.....me hanging in the water acts as a sea anchor and the mast will point itself into the wind...i then use the forestay to pull myself back to the boat real fast...climb on at the bow..and right the boat....

holding on to the boat at ALL times is def. the best advise..and sure can blow away fast on its side...

We tip ours over quite a lot actually...we sail in the open ocean a lot and the leeward bow catches a wave pretty often...we've gotten better at avoiding this...but they still sneak up once in awhile

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok, thanks for advise, I read your previous comments too.
I sail on Long Island Sound and waves were pretty big last weekend.
Problem with me is that I usually sail by myself or with my seven year old son. I don't do tricks like that with him but last Monday we went out together but winds and waves were too big for me to sacrifice the safety of my kid- he just started going with me about two months ago. I turned back after 30 min.
How would you right the boat by yourself? I did it before but I think the most important question for me is how to climb on the top of the hull without putting so much strain on my body. I almost forgot- how and where do you hold the righting line?
Quote:
I just kind've slide on like a whale on the bow

Can you elaborate on this a little bit more. I am trying to picture every move. There is no opportunity to practice unless it happens.
It looks that doing that my way is too draining, what do you think?
ANYBODY....?Comments please...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My dad is 56..I'm 21..when we flip it he's usually pretty worn out and needs to rest for a few minutes..I cant really describe how I get up there I kind've just flap about untill I get up there...I get maybe someone could tie a rope around the front cross bar and use that to pull themselves up the front of the bow...just and idea.....again I'm 21 so I don't have any real physical problem getting back up onto the hull..it is extremely slippery though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I do not really understand people having trouble getting back on. I guess I can see how someone who is over weight might struggle.

But I can grab the crossbar and jerk myself up using my arms. Then I just spin and put my butt on the hull or tramp. Does the Getaway sit that high up. I am in no way muscular, young and fit yes, but muscular no.

Post subject: Depnds on freeboard
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Vernon:

Depends on the hulls. I once jumped off the 4.3 to cool off and was a (censored) to get back on. Could not do it from the side. Had to go in front and lay on hull, swing my foot over crossbar then TRY reall hard to scoot on. Depends on the hull layout.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So is the Getaway a hard boat to get back on, The way I look at it , it looks alot like my 5.2 in how far it sets of the water and the general shape of the above water hull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

the hulls have a lot of volume so they float pretty high even when on their side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am glad I started this topic. Now I know that I should do it from the front. When the boat took off- see original post- I felt more save swimming around the stern. There were more things to hold on to. Hulls are very slippery that was why I tried to pull myself using righting line.
I will try to do it from the front of the boat next time. Hulls are slimmer there and I think I can picture how to do it.
I had no problem to get on the hull first time but after couple attempts it was too much for me. Again I chose the wrong way to get on it.
Now the question is
[b]how to hold the righting line when you stand already on the hull- it is running along the hull starting from one side of the stern and than along the cross bar going back again along the hull towards the stern like a “Uâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

you were doing it right make sure you take in a lot of slack before you lean back though....pre stretch it i guess u could say...at least this is what I do