Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: On Water Storage Options
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am thinking about buying a Getaway for my cabin. After doing some searches and talking to my dealer, it appears there are a few options for on-water storage of a Getaway:

1) Pull it onto the beach. (Not an option for me, I am afraid, the shore is too steep.)

2) Get a lift. Kind of expensive ($1800US), and has to be pulled out ever winter and put in every spring ($100 each time) but a good choice.

3) Lift onto boards suspended over two docks. Not an option for me.

4) (From the dealer) Buy a single 4X8 dock section with legs, mount it so it is 12 inches or so out of the water, and push the Getaway up onto it. As this option will only cost about $225 installed (I spoke to the dock guy, who will also take it out or put it in for $15). It is a pretty appealing option.

The questions I have are:

What do you folks think of option 4? I would put the getaway on the dock, put the wings in, tarp it, and use a ratchet strap to tie it down crosswise. Would I also need to drop a cinder block fore and aft and tie the boat down front and back?

Are there other good options?

Thanks,

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

no idea sorry...we trailer ours wish we had the option of leaving it near the water....but then again...it wouldnt get washed after every use in the salt water then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Option four sounds good. I wouldn't worry about securing the bow and transom. I would run a wide soft line around the shroud, mast and opposing shroud to keep the rig from rocking.

http://www.sailsafaris.net
toll free(866)820-6906

Post subject: Docking
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had a similar problem with a rocky shoreline in Maine.
I made a basic ramp in the form of 2 skidways that are 12" wide. I covered the skidways with vinyl lattice work that reduces the drag. I am able to drag the boat out of the water and secure it with a line to a tree on the shore. It is not pretty but I launch and dock singlehanded with no problem.
The skids are mounted on a frame in the water and rest on the shore on a bed of rocks. In the fall it is easy to walk it right up onto the shoreline. If I left it in the ice would destroy it.
Since we are on the South West shore of the lake we get some big rolling waves. We have lost more then one power boat off a moring so we are firm believers in the power of these rolling waves.
The water end of the skids is at a minimum 4" above the water. The shore end is at least 18" above the water. The skid length I chose was 12'.
This gives me plenty of flexiability to get the boat high and dry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We use a double-wide Mini-Mag PWC lift that is hand-cranked. I built a 2"x6"x8' cradle for the boat that it fits into more snugly than the trailer. Costs about $850 from Boat Lift Depot. The galvanized arms that you bolt the pressure treated cradle to are exactly 8' long, so you have to put the outside hull support plank at the very end, and angle the outside side support to cradle the hull. You also have to fold in the inside seat before stowing the boat.

The Getaway does not weigh much, so it is easy to hand-crank. The lift mounts to a single dock piling with just two bolts, or they have a version for a seawall or direct dock mount. We have two other identical ones for the jet skis, with motors. You can always add a motor later, but we don't see a need for the Getaway. It is great to be able to leave the boat over the water, fully rigged and ready to go all summer. Just crank it down and go. We do have two ratcheting web hold-downs that have snap hooks on both ends , with eye bolts on the pressure treated cradle, so we can cinch it down when not in use. Our source:

http://www.theboatliftdepot.com/lift_in ... on_pwc.htm