Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Main Block won't ratchet
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The little plastic red switch on the side of my block does not engage the ratchet feature. If memory serves correct, these blocks are riveted together. Is this user fixable or is this the perfect excuse to upgrade?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a new one (well used only 3X) in my hand and it doesn't look like you can easily take it apart, If you like you can have this one for 50% of new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What does the racheting do? The noise just annoys me so I never use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You must not sail in to much wind or you just cleat alot. The rachet allows you to hold the main without holding the entire load on the sheet.

If you look at the last pulley the line runs over it will have small cleats on it, and since the block can't turn backwards it holds the sheet when there is pressure being applied.

Now, I have the same problem with my old Harken blocks, I now use them for light air and have upgraded to a 7:1 system for heavy air!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

iresq,

If you have a lot of patience you can fix this problem...unless there are broken parts. The mechanism is in the housing right behind the side plate. The little red switch connects to another piece of red plastic and a microscopic spring. I've seen this second piece of plastic come out of its groove, especially after adjusting the jaws. Hope you have small fingers!! Once you get it apart you have to seat the second little plastic bit into its groove. You'll see what I'm talking about once you get it apart. If anything is broken in there, forget it. take it all out and forgo the ratchet. Then get a harken lo pro triple like the 16's

It took me wasting 3hours before I got it right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Roy, I shot you an email a couple of weeks ago. I am intersted in your block, if you are still willing to part with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

In case anyone is still following this thread, I also had a problem with the mainsheet block when I was adjusting the angle of the cleat. After tightening up the allen bolts the ratchet wouldn't work. After some scientific experimentation (playing around), I worked out that if I slackened off on the allen bolts a bit the ratchet would work. Subsequently I've adjusted the cleat angle again and each time I found that if I over tightened the allen bolts then the ratchet wouldn't work.