Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's right, getaway wins in tasmanian yachting regatta in Ulverstone.
Their was 20 boats in the fleet, 7 of these were cats , cobra , mosquito and a nacra 16 square.
The conditions were 14-18 knots and a lumpy sea, I sailed my boat without the clumsy wings and other resort gear that goes with it.
The boat handled the conditions well although broad reaching was a little tough as the bridles and main beam are a little too far forward, we sailed 2 up. By the end of 4 laps we were 2.5 legs in front of the other cats which have a faster yardstick than us. I went off the nacra 4.5 yardstick as it is what has been used in australia at the moment.
Our overall result was outright first for the cats and second overall for the entire fleet, not bad for the getaways first race.
And yes, I am over the moon with the boats performance for the day,nice to know that although the getaway was not designed as a race boat it is certainly up with the best of them.
Now! 2 issues that need urgently dealing with, first is a proper yardstick for this boat with and without resort gear, second a sail number is needed, the handicapper tried to pass my boat off as a different hobie which just wasnt on!
Last, its time to get some class racing going for these boats, their speed and performance is definitely NOT to be underestimated!!
The win is definitely some good news from down here in Tasmania.
From Tasmania's only Getaway sailor!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congrats!! As far as sail #'s, you can go to any graphics shop and get adhesive numbers to put on the sail, all you need is something to designate individual boats. Sorry I can't help with yardstick, although it shouldn't be that difficult it set up.

Post subject: sail no's
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey roy, thanks for the reply. Sail number stickers aren't a problem, it's the legitimate sail number system that the hobie racing association needs to deal with, after all it wouldn't be good rocking up to an event and find someone else has the same number? I wonder how the association can deal with this? And as far as yardsticks go I guess i will just heve to keep arguing with the club handicappers about this!!!
Still, it was a good feeling to do so well on a boat that wasn't really designed for racing, I am seriously thinking about a spinnaker for next season, that should put the cat among the pigeons!!!