Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am tired of the pin with the spiral round cotter pin to connect the forestay to the 7 hole shroud adjuster on my Wave. I think they are also called ring dings. Tired of it.

I would like something that is faster, easier, and less likely to be dropped and lost. But, it has to be something that is secure. I don't want to lose my forestay while sailing.

Would this pin work, or should I try something else?

http://www.saltydogmarine.com/product_i ... ts_id=2302

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Or would this work?

http://fastening-solutions.pivotpins.co ... -lock-pins?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Another idea:

http://fastening-solutions.pivotpins.co ... ?forward=1

What do you guys use?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think you could use some of those quick release pins, however I would want to make sure that they cannot come out on their own or during a capsize. Of the three choices I like the toggle pin from Salty Dog. I bought the rings with the bend in them for easier setup and take down.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:43 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
quick release pins

The problem with these is in their description and that makes them unworthy of mast support wire connections.

Best to learn how to use a ring and clevis pin. It is a pain sometimes... but they are the best for the job.

mmiller wrote:
Here are a couple of thoughts on clevis pins and rings (ring dings). They are definitely more secure than a quick release pin, so if you can learn to work with them they are the most secure connection. They don't require special tools. Small rings can be stiff, so a small blade driver to open may make them easier.

Normally you can pry open with your thumbnail. Place the nail in the ring within 1/8-1/4 inch of the end to pry open. push your thumb and forefinger in opposite directions to pry open. Slip onto the clevis pin and spin on.

Pry open with the clevis pin. Use the pin to wedge the ring open.

Pry open with a small tool.

There is a tool that holds them open for installation. Fishing shops may have that. Needle nose pliers or forceps work too.

Tape

I tape every ring that is not required to be removed. The ones at the anchor pin, twist toggle and shrouds (H16 / One side on other models requiring rig tensioning via the shroud). Tape helps to keep the rings from twisting out and covers the sharp ends that could catch on a sheet, rope or dock. Catching a line on a ring can pull them right out of a clevis pin. Also use boots over the adjusters. Use caution when pulling the boots down over the rings. Fold the ring flat against the adjuster / wire as you drop the boot down. This helps to prevent the boot from catching a ring and peeling it out.

Tape every ring that could possibly catch on lines or sails. This is especially true for spinnaker equipped boats or for longer voyages.

You can use a small piece of tape folded over the ring like bread on a sandwich or tape clear round the adjusters and rings several times.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I decided to order the toggle pins. I was hoping to get some feedback from people who have gotten away from the ring dings. I am pretty sure there are people who have been successful with alternatives. I just wanted to make sure I was making a good choice. There is no way in the world I believe ring dings is the best idea out there.

As innovative as Hobie is, surely they can sell boats with forestay fasteners that people actually want to use. When you look at the boat as a whole, it is truly impressive how well thought out it is. But ring dings? Come on.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tarzan wrote:
I decided to order the toggle pins. I was hoping to get some feedback from people who have gotten away from the ring dings. I am pretty sure there are people who have been successful with alternatives. I just wanted to make sure I was making a good choice. There is no way in the world I believe ring dings is the best idea out there.

As innovative as Hobie is, surely they can sell boats with forestay fasteners that people actually want to use. When you look at the boat as a whole, it is truly impressive how well thought out it is. But ring dings? Come on.

I feel your pain. Matt has more nimble fingers or better fingernails than I have. I hate those frickin' ring-dings. But, ya know, having a quick disconnect pin on the thing that keeps that mast from falling on your head...

I used the pushbutton quick disconnects on my H-17, and they worked fine. I'm just hesitant to risk dropping the mast. I had a side shroud break on my H-17 and the mast slammed down on the side away from us. And once on my Getaway, the jib shackle pin came out ALMOST all the way, which would have dropped the mast backwards to where the 4 of us were sitting. The mast is big. And heavy.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

dorienc wrote:
Tarzan wrote:

I feel your pain. Matt has more nimble fingers or better fingernails than I have. I hate those frickin' ring-dings. But, ya know, having a quick disconnect pin on the thing that keeps that mast from falling on your head...

I used the pushbutton quick disconnects on my H-17, and they worked fine. I'm just hesitant to risk dropping the mast. I had a side shroud break on my H-17 and the mast slammed down on the side away from us. And once on my Getaway, the jib shackle pin came out ALMOST all the way, which would have dropped the mast backwards to where the 4 of us were sitting. The mast is big. And heavy.

You are just trying to scare me. I also ordered a few ring dings with the offset end that I don't even have to pry apart with my nail, just in case you really do scare me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It would help if you could buy clevis pins with ring dings connected by a lanyard. It is so easy to drop a ring ding and so hard to find it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't think you looked at the link to the toggle pin.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:47 pm 
Site Admin

Fishermen use a ring tool. You can easily hold and install them that way.

Honestly, try practicing while watching TV or something. Once you know how, they aren't hard to do.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This looks like it would be legitimate alternative to the clevis pin and ring ding. How would this work itself out?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just bought a pair of split ring pliers. We'll see how they work come spring!
http://www.amazon.com/Xuron-496-Split-R ... B000BL6OZ8

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tarzan wrote:
This looks like it would be legitimate alternative to the clevis pin and ring ding. How would this work itself out?

We had those on the side stays for a 14ft caper cat and never had an issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Beginning and end of season, I hate split rings... broken fingernails, bruises, yuck.
We moor 'on the hard' with the mast up, so once the boat is set up, it's good to go.
During the season, I bless split rings for keeping my clevis pins and my rigging intact.

I use a toggle pin on the tack of my mainsail (5:1 downhaul connection), and we've never had a problem.

I used to use a quick pin to attach the clew of my mainsail to the outhaul car on the boom, never had a problem.
Now I use a (non-Hobie) quick pin with a (non-Hobie) quick-release lanyard which has separated twice, both in high wind, at the start of racing while the main was flopping around. Fun stuff.

Those loads are all relatively static compared to a shroud or a forestay.

Do I still hate mounting a split-ring? Yes... but I know it works for me.
I think we go through two rolls of tape a year.

All of us customize our boat to suit ourselves, and so should you. IMHO, most folks find Hobie products to be over-engineered, if anything.