Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I ordered new wires for my 95 Wave about a month ago. The shrouds and bridles came in but the forestay is still on backorder. I thought no problem I'll just use my old forestay which looks to be in good shape and we'll take the boat out. It was a beautiful day for it... sunny and winds about 10mph. We went to Lake Allattona and were at the ramp. My son & I were putting the mast up and were shocked to see that we could no longer shackle the forestay to the bridles. It was a few inches short. It seems that the new shrouds are shorter than the old ones. The bridles are the same length. Does anybody know if the new forestay is longer, or maybe even a longer forestay adjuster is used as well?

To say the least we were disappointed that we missed a fine sailing day.

Dennis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, I have a 95 Wave. My original shroud wires attached to the shroud plates with with 2 half moon hooks which formed a complete loop to hook in the shroud hole and held in place with the cable sleeve cover, the original wires were thin and sloppy. I seen my Hobie dealer and he had the complete thicker wire set under the counter, the wires were almost twice as thick and he said I'll need the shrouds adjusters, which I bought. I could use my original forestay adjuster. After setting all the adjusters to the longest holes, I came up short also trying to get the bridle pin in. I made a makeshift tensioner to pull the forestay adjuster to the bridles shackle which worked out well. Now all rigging is really tight, mast rotates freely, and rigging is fast. Read post Forestay/lateral stay tightness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:52 am 
Site Admin

Don't think we have changed the wire lengths. We have two styles though. The original with the opposing hooks and the Club one with a thimble. The club wires are shorter and require 7 hole adjusters attached to the chain plates on the hulls. All wires require the 7 hole adjuster wt the bridels to forestay connection.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Last edited by mmiller on Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt,

I have the shroud wires with the hooks. I checked one of the new wires against my old one that was unbroken and it is shorter than the old one by about an inch or so. The bridles are the same length. Possibly there is a manufacturing error in the shroud wires.

I have my original forestay and adjuster that I bought with the boat. I suppose I could remedy the situation by adding shackles to each shroud wire. That doesn't seem ideal to me though.

Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:40 am 
Site Admin

I could be wrong about not changing the length. As I recall the forestay had to be pinned well down the adjuster at the bridles, So shorter shrouds would make sense.

An inch or two can easily be made up at the forestay adjuster.

Perhaps you don't get the rig tight enough? I use the halyard and pull the mast well forward (hard) to set the forestay.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
An inch or two can easily be made up at the forestay adjuster.

I already had the adjuster out all the way and was still short. I tried twice to get the mast as forward as I could... pushed my 205lbs against it but I didn't try really tightening the halyard rig. It has always been a chore getting the shackle pin in place but this was different than that.

I'm thinking I just may add a couple of shackles somewhere in the rig. Probably at the point where the shrouds reach the other shackle at the mast tang unless they rub on the mast.

Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:13 am 
Site Admin

Much easier to pull the mast forward with the halyard. Have someone else pin it or tie off to the mast stand or something as you pin the forestay.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can always use your mainsheet as a block & tackle to get the mast as far forward as possible. Cleat off the hook end on the back of the mast, then tie a loop on the front side, a couple feet above the bridle. Put your sheet between the bridle shackle and the loop, and sheet in till it brings the forestay close enough to pin.

If that doesn't work, it ain't gonna work. A ten hole adjuster on the bridle will give you some extra length, and let you rake it back farther.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"