Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I recently had to give up my beloved Getaway to "downgrade" to a smaller Wave since I got fed up with lugging it on and off the beach by myself. That, and it was difficult to right the boat by myself (150lbs soaking wet) and have been stranded in the middle of the lake waiting for rescue more than once. The first thing I noticed when I put the smaller Wave into the water was how easy it was to drag up on shore. I used to strain and struggle just to get the Getaway half way out of the water. With the Wave, I can easily pull it completely out of the water. Nice! Then I proceed to rig it to sail. I noticed how easy it was to raise the mast. No longer did I have to struggle and pray when lifting. Cool! No jib, tiller, traveller, and blocks to worry about or deal with. Sweet! The Wave was completely ready to sail in less than 10 min. The winds were blowing significantly and normally wouldn't dare venture out with the Getaway, but decided to shove off anyway to see what this little downgrade could do. I quickly noticed how smooth and fast the wave picked up speed. I also noticed my visibility was much greater since there was no jib in the way. Within a few minutes, I was already flying a hull. I was surprised as to how easy it was to hold the hull out of the water (the Getaway was way less forgiving when flying a hull). Awesome!
Once I realized how easy it was to fly a hull, I then proceeded to see how high and fast I could go. Well it wasn't long before I found myself taking a swim. I swam the boat around, climbed up and pulled on the bungee. The boat righted almost instantly! I climbed aboard, hooked the sail, and off I went! How incredible! Finally, a boat I can completely manage by myself! This little "downgrade" turned out to be the most fun I have had on a Hobie in a long time. This is not to say I didn't have tons o' fun on my Getaway, as I absolutely loved that boat, but the Wave is sooo much easier to operate and sail.
Thanks Hobie! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to the Wave world! I think a lot of us "down-graded" from bigger boats, to the simpler and more fun Wave.

I sold my 18' Interlake (monohull) after sailing Waves at a condo in Florida. I spent more time on the water in the first summer than I did in 12 years of Interlake ownership! Plus I've taken a lot more others out on the boat with me. I wish I'd made the switch years sooner.

You made the right choice!

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Scott for this interesting point of view.
I have been willing to "downgrade" my getaway as well for the exact same reasons. Boat is un-manageable by 1 person in the sand, and I am not looking forward to have to right it by myself.

While I have no doubt the wave is fun solo, I am however wondering about the speed.
Did you notice the boat sailing slower than the getaway ?
Also do you miss not being able to use a trapeze ?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

crobiecat wrote:
While I have no doubt the wave is fun solo, I am however wondering about the speed.
Did you notice the boat sailing slower than the getaway ?
Also do you miss not being able to use a trapeze ?

The Wave is a little bit slower than the Getaway in my opinion, but the fun factor makes up for it. I can still run circles around the single hulls out there and is really fun to pull past a sailor with your hull flying high!

I did not have a trapeze on my Getaway; I thought the seats did a great job on their own. I do miss the seats quite a bit, so I went and purchased the back rests. I think that was a mistake since they were very expensive and most times they feel in the way when flying a hull. I used to trapeze on my 16, but sold it years ago for a Getaway.

The Wave is great if you are by yourself and want to sail fast. More than that and the boat slows considerably. You can still pile on 4 adults and sail, but don't expect to go very fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I rented a wave in Coeur-d-Aline this summer and was completely unimpressed with the performance of the boat. The was a pretty good wind that day and the whole time I was out there I was wishing to be on my getaway. I too find the getaway a lot of boat for one guy but I don't think I would want to lose that much performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Roy wrote:
I rented a wave in Coeur-d-Aline this summer and was completely unimpressed with the performance of the boat. The was a pretty good wind that day and the whole time I was out there I was wishing to be on my getaway. I too find the getaway a lot of boat for one guy but I don't think I would want to lose that much performance.

According to the Portsmouth numbers, the Wave is 10% slower than the Getaway, which itself is 10% slower than the H16.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

crobiecat wrote:
According to the Portsmouth numbers, the Wave is 10% slower than the Getaway, which itself is 10% slower than the H16.

I would say that estimate is accurate from my experience.

Something I didn't mention in my previous post was the fear factor. I was afraid of the Getaway sometimes. Yes it was faster and more exciting. But when I sailed it alone, I would often feel uneasy when lifting the hull out of the water. I knew that if I dumped it into the water, I wouldn't be able to right it by myself. So that prevented me from enjoying it fully. Sometimes I wouldn't even take the Getaway out if I thought the wind was blowing too much, and was by myself. So when I switched to the Wave, all those fears went away and I was able to enjoy the boat to the fullest. I am very glad now I made the switch. The Wave is simply more fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought a Wave two years ago and have had a blast out on some super heavy days on Lake Michigan and Lake Erie. The boat handles well in the heavy stuff making me confident in those conditions, and also because I know I can right it myself and have some room for error driving it. My wife gets a little nervous when I disapear below the tops of the waves, but I am having a blast. I remember last summer I was sailing from Kelleys Island State Park Campground and the wind was screaming, the biggest problem was driving the leeward bow into the waves I was overtaking. I ended up flipping it for the first time ever, and while I was righting it the wind grabbed the tramp and pitch poled the boat, the mast bob brought the mast right back up, I righted and started screaming across the bay again. I weigh in about 180 and solo the boat just dances on the leeward hull in the moderate to heavy air, a total rush. As things get real heavy it gets a little bow heavy which slows me down but still a blast. I am getting psyched to get back out there as the weather warms up, the season here in the midwest is too short. The boat is also a great training boat and my kids are learning to sail it quickly without being afraid of it. I love the boat. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey IL,

You coming to the Great Plains Wave Championships?

http://fleet297.org/frayed_knot.html

A bunch of Waves are coming from Iowa too, will be a great time. Would be nice to have some of you guys from the forum (and Indywave...hint, hint) out here for our first annual event.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just looked at your site and that looks great! How is the water that time of year, shorty or full wet suit weather?

I may have to call in a personal day on that Friday and pack up the RV for the weekend.
I will be making a decision soon on this one, it looks great.
Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mark,

Sweet! Hope it works out for you. We'd love to fill the lake with Waves (we now you guys are out there)

Historically the water will be 60 degrees. Definately bring some protection in case of capsize. I wear a shorty wetsuit with a spray top handy in case it's cool and cloudy...or honkin'!

The "average" air temp. high is upper 60's. It's great watching you Northerner's run around the beach in shorts and tshirts like we're in Tampa :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You know it!! Anything over 50 is beach weather and 60 is rather hot!!

I will have my suits with me and I am about 99% committed at this point. It looks like an 8.5 hour ride for me and that will let me roll out of here Friday morning and get prepped that afternoon.

Is that campground walkable to the race site? I will not have a car just my big RV and Hobie. 8) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Welcome committee will be there on Friday to get you situated.

Cedar Ridge campground is the one to the NW of the beach, it's 1/2 mile away...a nice morning walk...or hitch a ride with other camper/sailors...or I'll come by and pick you up (we live at 596 N 1200)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=796+N+1190+RD+Lawrence,+KS+66047&sll=38.912738,-95.392414&sspn=0.009884,0.022745&g=596+N+1200+Rd,+Lawrence,+KS+66047&ie=UTF8&ll=38.912341,-95.369096&spn=0.009884,0.022745&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr