Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lost my virginity
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yep. My first capsize.

Winds about 20 mph and a 6 foot plus wake of an oil tanker (and a failed mainsheet release) did me in about a mile off shore. I was flying a hull at the time and going fast fast fast.

My righting line was knotted, took me probably about 6-7 minutes to untie as I tread in 60 degree water.

Fortunately I was wearing my wetsuit and righting the boat was fun and easy (I know others have posted as such... but it was good to experience it 1st hand).

I am glad that I was "tehered" to my boat as the wind was pushing her away from me pretty fast and I am unsure if I could have swam fast enough to catch her.

Say it SOFT and it's almost like praying.....
I just sailed my WAVE out the Marina !"
West Coast Story

Post subject: Re: Lost my virginity
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Good story!

I think this is a good capsize story thread and I shall now add mine:

My dad had been asking me to take him out on the Wave. When our schedules and the weather all lined up, we hit the local lake. He used to have a lightining dinghy about 30 years ago and had not been behind the tiller since then. I sailed the boat out of the marina and then forced him to take over the helm while I worked the mainsheet. The old fart did great being fresh off a 30yr break.

While we sailed, he would ask various questions about catamarans and one topic in specific was "Flying the hull". He kept asking about hull flying and it was clearly something he wanted to try - however there was not enough wind to fly a hull with both of us sitting on the windward hull. I went down and sat on the leward hull while we were close-hauled. It was just enough for the hull my dad was sitting on to lift up completely out of the water. For a little while he had one of those "What About Bob Bill Murray" moments (IM SAILING, IM SAILING!). But, you know how this story must end - a gust hit and the mainsheet got caught in something and jammed and over we went. I did not have as far to fall to the water as he did. Much laughter followed. I righted the boat and we shivered all the way back home. What a great day!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I like that story.

I also like that once one has successfully capsized :D the fear of "not knowing what to expect" is gone.

I was back to flying my hull as soon as I jumped back on board!

Yeah, baby!

Say it SOFT and it's almost like praying.....
I just sailed my WAVE out the Marina !"
West Coast Story

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yesterday was our fourth time out on the Wave. Screaming wind picked up and we were having a great time! Ended up doing a 'half pitchpole'. Bows down in the water, boat pretty much vertical, wife catapulted into the lake (oops...). Somehow, I managed to hang on. I think it was because I took off the hiking stick and I was clamped on to the tiller bar. With less weight to the front (once my wife was catapulted away...), got back horizontal on the water, turned against the wind and waited for my wife to swim over and climb on board. Two seconds of anger and fear (from her) turned into mutual laughter and a great lesson for both of us understanding where the pitchpole limits of the Wave are. Great boat!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I pitchpoled mine the first day I had it out ever. It was blowing pretty hard and it was my first time sailing a catamaran. Some would say that it may not have been the best day to learn about catamaran sailing but I got the 1st pitchpole part over with and learned some good lessons to boot.

The Wave is a blast to sail in high wind, especially solo.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My first pitchpole happened two weeks ago sailing in the gulf of Pag island. Sailing with a friend close hauled when sudenly wind picked up. I decided to turn off the wind. It was too late to warn my friend to move back (he was sitting at the shroud line). Bows down and stern lifted up. The boat speed was almost zero but hulls looked so vertical for me so we jumped off. I was pretty sure the boat would capsize. What a mistake. When I came to the sea surface and looked around I saw my wave sailing like a ghost ship. We were lucky since the (rocky) coast was only hundred meters away. The boat turned into the wind and sailed with low speed up to the coast where she waited for us.
After that experience I decided to buy a piece of floating rope to be attached to the boat when sailing in higher winds.