Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Going from Wave to Bravo
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Considering going from a Wave to a Bravo. Ease of rigging, launching, etc. Need some advice. Am I making a mistake. Can I be happy with a Bravo after having a Wave ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I looked hard at the Bravo and opted for a WAVE.

- Harbors and lakes would be fine for the Bravo, but ocean conditions would tend to stretch it, I would think.
- I didn't see how I could single hand lift the hull of a Bravo.
- Bringing friends along.
- Seems like the Bravo would be a wetter boat.

However, I do get soaking wet on my WAVE out on the ocean in 4-6 foot waves and 15-20 mph winds.

Say it SOFT and it's almost like praying.....
I just sailed my WAVE out the Marina !"
West Coast Story

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for you reply. I sail mostly in shallow bays in 10-15 km wind. I leave my Wave assembled at all times and trailer to my sailing destination. Brave is not as heavy per specs. I do love the backrests on my Wave. Will most likely miss those. But hopefully the ease of mast rigging and launching will more than make up for it. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

jp,
I've been sailing a Bravo for the past 2 years and just purchased a wave. I sail on some local lakes, the harder its blowing the better. Here's my thoughts:

The Bravo is easier to setup that's for sure, and the way the sail wraps around the mast is great. Set the Mast up, release a line and the sail is deployed, come back to the beach, pull a line and the sail is put away. Can't get easier than that.

Now for the sailing, since the Bravo is very narrow, and has a tall rig, the boat really starts to lean when hit with some wind. So get ready to spend a lot of tile on the rail hiking out. The rail is not as comfortable as the Wave and unless you have a lot of padding back there, it does get sore.

When really pushing the boat the bows will play U-Boat and dive. the problem is with only one rudder in the center of the boat, it comes out of the water and you can't steer the boat, and just have to wait until the gust is over.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Bravo is a good boat for 1 person in medium air, in strong air I'd rather be on a Wave.

Charlie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Charlie,

Just when I think I have my mind made up, someone comes along and makes me doubt again. Your points are excellent. But...I am not one to sail in strong winds, at least I try to stay away from it. The width of the Bravo in one concern that I have. I really don't want to spend my time in a strong heeling position and in a constant balancing act. My Wave has the "backrest rails" which I really enjoy. I'm much more of a "sit back and relax" type of sailor. Perhaps I'd better put up with the few extra minutes it takes to set up the Wave and stick with it.

My one item I have with the Wave is the time and effort it takes to MAST and DEMAST. The Bravo looks so much easier/quicker. Good Lord, I hate making decisions.

J.P.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

JP,

I would suggest trying a Bravo out before purchasing. Is there a dealer in your area that has any demo boats? Where are you located?

Charlie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

jp wrote:
My one item I have with the Wave is the time and effort it takes to MAST and DEMAST.

Seriously??!!

It does not get much easier than the Wave to step the mast. I think your stepping technique must be off because its REALLY easy to step the Wave mast.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

More thoughts

If you want to go from trailer to water really fast do these things:

1)Leave the rudders on while trailering and lock them in the "up" position. Leave teh tiller crossbar on too and bungee/tie it down

2) Leave the mast as one piece, get a mast cradle for your trailer if you dont have one. Dont disconnect the shroud pins, just coil the wires as best you can and tie them to the tramp - the only thing that gets taken off is the forestay.

3) Get a winch mounted to your trailer's mast cradle, tie the main halyard to the end of the winch and use that to raise the mast and hold it up while you pin the forestay. You could even make a gin pole for the mast so that you never have to even step on the boat while its on the trailer - (put the mast on the ball and slide the pin in, attach halyard to winch, raise the top of the mast with the gin pole, crank the winch until mast is raised, pin forestay/bridle.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks to the Captain, I believe you have an easier way of stepping and launching. I believe I will stay with the Wave now. Can't wait for the Spring to get here. It's already chilly here in Canada and the Cat is stored for the Winter. I will continue to monitor the Forum. It's great.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't own a wave yet, but will real soon. I have tried out both boats.
The wave seem alright but definitly slower that the Hobie 16. It handled 30mph gust good. Plenty of room on the trampline. Plus you can race the wave and add more sails to it.
I was dissapointed with the Bravo. Me and my daughter rented one.
Right after launching I thought the boat was way too low in the water. I checked the drain plugs, they were in. It turns out that there was too much weight for the boat to handle. It was not as easy to tack as I thought it would be. The passenger up front, keeps getting constantly splashed from water off the bows. Seem smaller out on the water than I thought it would be.
If your a light weight, the boat should be fine.
I have two teenage kids so the wave is the only way to go.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you all for your input. After all I've read on this post, I am definitely keeping my Wave.