Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just bought a new Wave that I'll start sailing once the bergs move off of Lake Michigan. Any input you can lend on any of the following topics would be great.

- How easy is it to right after capsize if solo?
- Technique advice on blasting out through 2-5 waves if solo?
- How's performance with 300-325 lbs on it?
- On the old forum I read lots about how small the jib is...still better than main only, right? Or not? Also...where is the "old forum"?
- How easy is it to bring up the beach with Cat Trax? Again...if solo?

Finally, I bought it to get my little kids into sailing flat and fast, and to have fun solo or with a friend...Open to any other tips and advice. Thanks

Post subject: Q n A
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:07 am 
Site Admin

- How easy is it to right after capsize if solo?

Really easy. Takes about 100 lbs. There is now a FAQ about righting you can read: http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1570

- Technique advice on blasting out through 2-5 waves if solo?

Watch the waves coming in. Normally there will be sets and lulls. You want to launch at the end of a set so that you are going out during the next lull. Launch the boat and hold at the bow till you are ready. I like to pull the stearns to weather or allow the bows to head down off the wind just as I hop on. Get it headed down enough that when you hop on (it will round up as you are getting the sheets and rudders set) that as it rounds up a little it doesn't get to high or head to wind. Also, by heading off a bit you get some speed and are able to steer right away even if the boat rounds up. Reach if possible, across the wind. If the wind is directly on shore, you will have to get speed up between the waves by heading down the beach and then rounding up into the waves. Just have to plan the take off. Don't sheet the main too hard before the rudders are fully down. Sheeting will cause the boat to round up into the wind and put heavy loads on the rudder system. Carefull about backing up over the rudders when a wave hits. The jib can help. Sheet the jib and keep the main a little looser to ease the rudder loads. You can actually steer the boat between the two sails. Sheet the main to round up. Sheet out the main and sheet the jib to round down. Somewhere in between is a better balance of power and control.

- How's performance with 300-325 lbs on it?

That is OK, Better with lighter weight. Tacking is tough if your crew is forward. Have them move back a bit when you tack.

- On the old forum I read lots about how small the jib is...still better than main only, right? Or not? Also...where is the "old forum"?

There is no "old" forum at Hobie Cat. You can view "all posts" or limit to a number of weeks back. Check the bottom of the page.

"Display topics from previous:" "All Posts" "Display" "Oldest First"

There is also a forum search button at the top of the page.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Matt. I found the FAQs and the surf comments are great...just gotta wait out the cold now...A