Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello. I have an '06 Wave Standard Edition with the drink holders, or at least it used to have drink holders. I love the SE because it is easy to brake down and store overhead in my shead. This keeps it looking new and out of the way. It still looks great; however, when I bought it at one year old, the drink holders were torn. They were heat welded into the tramp 'off-center', so there was almost no overlap on one side of each holder leaving them too weak, so conseqently they tore lose. I was so tired of looking at them half torn that I cut them off altogether. Now I have three cup sized holes in the tramp that look just as bad as when they were half hanging. As I said, the tramp looks new otherwise, so I don't want to buy another $600 one (SE tramps cost more than Club tramps) or a cheaper stitched aftermarket one. My question is, is there anyone out there that has come up with an idea to cover or replace these holders? I saw where another post mentioned they can wear out in a year or so, but that was not the subject of the post and no more was said. I thought of taking the tramp in and having circles stitched over them, but then I thought it might look just as bad again. Then I thought perhaps there is a better suggestion or idea from someone in this forum. Thanks. Tom in NC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:07 pm 
Site Admin

Replacement can holders are available. I have no reason to believe that they would "wear out" in one year. They are made of the same vinyl materials as the tramp and we have had these on boats for years with little issue. You would drop the new holder into the hole and stitch around the ring to hold in place.

#1125 CAN HOLDER,TRAMP/WING $15.95 each

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, all I had to do was ask to see that there were replacement holders availble! Silly me. I assumed I could not get them by themselves. Great. I will order three new ones. I did not mention that I had guessed perhaps at some time before I bought this Wave that some toddlers might have stood in the cup holders. The guy I bought from had a couple them. I can easily imagine my kids doing such a thing when they were tots while exploring and climbing on anything they could. That would surely tear them along the sides that had only a sight overlap on the heat weld. A 12 or 16 oz bottle weighs a lot less than a 25 pound youngster. Anyhow, it is just a guess since I will agree with you that they should not have worn out so soon. Thanks, Matt! :D