Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sailed my Wave for the first time a few days ago. I have sailed a Wave also while in Jamaica. My other sailboats had the jam cleat situated on the block so you would pull upwards to release the mainsheet from the cleat. It seems more inefficient ( and a bit difficult) to pull downwards to release the sheet from the jam cleat. What is the reason for this set-up ( this is a 2001 Wave with the original mainsheet too). Or perhaps I am doing something wrong. Thanks.

Michael

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Michael,

I can't really say why cats have the main cam cleats mounted like they do, just that all cats I've sailed were like this. Maybe someone else could provide a technical answer to that.

At one point I adjusted the cleat so that I just had to pull the sheet to me and it cleated, then to release it I had to snap the line down. On a heavy day, I couldn't release it fast enough and over I went. So now I have the cleat angled up, and have to hold the up to cleat it. Yea its a bit of a pain, but it releases real easy and I'd rather have that.

I used to sail mono hulls and there were a number of things I had to get used to, now its like second nature, so its something you should get used to over time.

So besides the main sheet/cam position, how was the sail?

Charlie

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sailing the Wave was awesome. It was 15+ winds with serious gusts. My daughter and I went out and had a great time. I brought her along for extra weight. She sailed it most of the time. Everything seemed to work fine. I will have to work at getting the mainsheet untwisted in the blocks when it is pulled in. Thanks.

Michael