Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My first Hobie Wave Experience
(http://ametry.com/sailing/)
First of all, Excuse my english and the weak sailing terminology.

Well I just bought a 96 Wave 2 weekends ago from a gentelman in Dallas. I was very excited about going down to the gulf (I live in Houston) where there is nice ocean wind. Me and a buddy of mine (about 380lbs total)ended going to HYC in LaPorte, Tx

Weather was unbelievable, maybe 75F°, beautiful sky, 15 knot wind.

The boat was in the water at around 10:00 am, As soon as we left the HYC marina there was a race going on our port side so we figured we'd go starboard (see map) that we would lap the island then head back to the marina. We were upwind so we figured that coming back we would be flying so we took our time heading there. Anyway, the wind started getting weaker and by the time we got behind the island there was almost NO WIND and NO BOATS but us, and from our angle we were not sure that it was an island because simply the two islands seemed connected! We were about 600 feet away from the coast when we realized that the rudders were dragging on the sand. There was not enough wind to push us out so we decided to get off the boat and walk to the island get on a high land and look for the deep area.

Tim stayed with the boat and I got off, the sand was too soft (It was weird!) But the furthur I started walking on the island the softer the sand would get until i hit a spot where i started sinking in the quick sand all the way up to my waist, I started moving slowly backwards towards the water until i got out.

Anyway, We started walking back to the boat and he's pulling and im pushing the boat trying to get to a deep area. Both the tide and the very weak wind (< 5knots) were pushing us back to the island. Half way in the disgusting brown water of Galveston bay I hear a splash and 5 feet away i see a grey dorsal fin sticking out of the water. So I jump on the right hull shouting to my friend to do the same (He thought i was joking!!). Few seconds later we see 4 fins on our left and maybe 2 behind the boat and at least one of them hit the boat because we could hear scratches against the hulls. We knew it could not be Jaws since we are in 2-3 foot deep water but we also knew there were atleast 6 creatures with dorsal fins and it was no dolphin, it probably takes a little bit of blood to drive them all crazy! We were trying to avoid the trampoline because we didnt want our butts in the water but sitting on the hulls made the hulls touch the sand and no way we would move like that!

Eventually The fins went away and we put the rudders half way down and used them to move slowly away from the island. It took as around 4-5 hours to get back to the marina after this lovely adventure (the wind never came back, the frustrating part is that Saturday it was dead and yesterday it was 25 knots!).

Below is a picture of me on what we now call the death island (http://ametry.com/sailing/)! And another picture of the calm marina heading back. We took those pictures as soon as we got the island, we did not know that 30 mins later we would find all those interesting things about that place.

That was my first Hobie Wave adventure! Interesting enough I was telling Tim that this is awesome and maybe I might sell the boat and get an H-16. But i think if the wind was much stronger there would be a possiblity that an H-16 would flip in what seemed to be the predators dinner plate.

My wife now wants me to sell the boat :)! I think it was a great adventure. Thank God nothing happened but i dont think i will be visiting this island ever again!

Tips:

-Always keep Paddles/Oars or even a small engine if you're heading to an area where you can't swim back.
-Know the area that you are sailing in -If you are the only boat sailing in a specific area, then maybe this should give you a hint!
-Drinking Water
-Cell Phone
-Knife (just in case you want to take a shark or even a jelly fish with you which by the way were all over the place)

The Wave was great! Very strong and stable, If it was any other cheaply made boat it could have been much worse! Thank you Hobie!

Looking forward for the next adventure. Maybe a little less drama.! :)

Is that the normal Hobie sailing day?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

HA!! Good story bro; glad it had a happy ending. :)

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Second Adventure (Texas City Dike)!
--------------
GREAT Place! Good wind.
It was about 15-20 knots there was some good waves (actual waves not the boat) but it was FUN to jump them.
I saw at least 3 dolphins jumping around the boat.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Texas+City,+TX&ll=29.376192,-94.846773&spn=0.095355,0.204826&hl=en

I think this is where im gonna be from now on.
If anybody near that area and didn't go there; you're missing on a lot of FUN!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ashmetry,

www.tcdyc.com

This is the website for the multihull and anything else you can think of sailing club at the dike.

Post subject: Link Fixed
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

http://ametry.com/sailing
The link is fixed.

Some pics from the first adventure are posted there. We were standing in the water not knowing that 20 mins later we would see fins all around us. :)

The water is so muddy, you can't see anything.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you are considering selling, renting, leasing, etc, please let me know. I got rid of my 18' and want a wave badly for me and my son. We have a place on the west bay that would be perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

sorry, sold it last month. got a H-14 T instead.
thanx for posting