Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wheels for Hobie Wave
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I need some wheels for my Hobie Wave. I only have a short distance on the beach to move the boat with a slight hill. I'm hoping I can move it myself. What wheels can anyone recommend? The Wave Trax or Cat Trax? I have a couple of Bigfoot wheels but no axle. Are there any homemade remedies?

Post subject: Wave Trax
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:39 am 
Site Admin

For the Wave there is a special length crossbar. The Wave trax are listed in the catalog. If you already have some wheels, seems you could fashion something to work. The two wheels between the hulls, wide apart, but not against the hulls.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Wheels
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I made some out of a piece of conduit and some Dr Pepper surup containers. They are blue and about 2 feet around and three feet long. Get two connectors for holding conduit together and cut them in half. You will use these to keep the wheels in place. Then if you have round hulls get some cradles. If you don't need cradles this will cost mayde $50. Very light nand won't rust. Hope this is helpful. Let me know.

Doug

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Doug,
I emailed you the other day asking for some specs and pictures of your wheels. I and some of my fellow club members are interested in some low cost beach wheels. We launch off of hard packed sand. Please send or post some pics and or specs of your wheels.

Thanks,
Danny
http://pirates.dwebz.net

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Danny:

I am working on getting photos. I gave the wheels away and they are in his storage unit, He said he would take some next trip there. I gave you a detailed description on how to make them in email reply, did you get it? If you have any questions, call in tommrow as I am going to fleet ball tonight. Check out our fleet website www.tcdyc.com good forum and lot of good info and items wanted and for sale. Join mailing list and become member, doesn't cost anyhting and good group of people to get info from. :) :)

There should also be a description in above post on how to make them.

Doug Snell
[email protected]
281-326-2702

Post subject: Hobie Wave Trax
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

:D We have used one set of Wave Trax, Number 1625 in the Hobie Catalog, for the last three years. We have five Waves that are launched at least two times a day, during the season. See www.sailsandpoint.org A couple of 10 year olds can load, and move the Wave easily. The Trax are still in good shape.

Caleb Tarleton

Post subject: Cat Trax on rocky shore
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I launch down and up a rather rocky beach about 80 feet long. With the tide out, I roll my Wave up to 200 yards on sand out to the water's edge. With the Cat Trax I use a 2" nylon strap "boomer". I position the boat balanced on the Cat Trax axels, bowline the lines from the Cat Trax to the rings on the nylon strap, and then clamp the boat to the wheels with the racheting boomer. That way the wheels stay put under the boat as I push the boat up and down the rocky shore. Not a great way, but it works and I can go out sailing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is the article on the wheels, if anyone wants to make them. Just don't drill holes like he says. I would also put some silicone around the connectors and washers.

Doug
dsnell4 at houston dot rr dot com

http://www.geocities.com/mec_coleman/tip13.htm