Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm planning to keep my 2009 Hobie Wave in a fresh-water slip next year for the entire sailing season (April to October). Does anyone know if I need to be worried about any potential harm this long-term exposure could cause to my hull? Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:47 am 
Site Admin

If you can pull up on some floats in the slip... would be best. We don't recommend storage in the water due to the constant motion wear on fittings.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Pulling it up on floats won't be possible at this marina. The marina is in a very protected cove on a small lake, with very little wave action.
Is the wear on the fittings my only concern? Is the hull itself safe to be in water for extended periods?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:14 am 
Site Admin

Any boat wake or wind action creates movement on the water and then vibration in the rig. You need to restrain mast rotation and keep the rig tight. Inspect fittings constantly... especially the shroud attachment shackle.

The water will discolor the hull material and possibly you will get growth on the plastic, but structurally... this doesn't seem to be an issue.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I kept my Wave in the water last summer here in Vermont. It was in the water July-late October. The lake is about 300 acres and the dock isn't really protected. Sometimes the boat was bouncing around a little bit. I had no problems with the rig at all. I didn't tighten it or prevent rotation. In a few weeks when I pull the boat out of the barn I will inspect the fittings for excess wear. I wasn't aware that there was a need to tighten the rig, that's why I didn't do it. The hulls had no problem at all. There was some growth and discoloration but it cleaned off just fine. This is just my experience. Others may have different results.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My parents got a new lake house last summer and it came with a wave.

From what I can tell the wave has lived in the water tied to a dock for 10 years or more. Only after I had sailed a some Hobies down at school in Florida did I realize that there was something seriously wrong with my Hobie.

Last weekend when I was home I drained literally 50 or 60 gallons from both hulls combined. After which the Hobie sat about 5 inches higher in the water.

I also had to tighten the wires that support the mast, they were very loose.

Otherwise it's in perfect condition.