Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rudder springs
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We have a couple of Waves at the rental location I work at that we have had problems with the rudders and cams working right. It seems the springs are way to stiff if any tension is put on them with the plastic screw plug. If we back the plug out enough to have no tension, the rudders will lock down and kick up nicely, but we have had the plugs back out and get lost (along with the spring). I put in some shorter, weaker springs which improved the performance, but they rusted pretty quick. Any ideas on a solution. These are rental boats that get pretty hard useage.
Jimbob

Post subject: Re: Rudder springs
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You could try putting some epoxy on the plugs when you put them in. It won't stick to the delrin very well but it could help them not to back out. Or silicone. Either way you could get them out again when you want to replace a cam or whatever. The plug should be just about flush with the lower rudder casting, give or take an 1/8".

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

No way we can put them in that far and have the rudders kick up when they hit the sand in our shallow bay. They bring the boat to a stop. We have replaced the cams and we got some lighter springs that allowed us to tighten the plugs and the rudders would lock down nicely, stay down in heavy winds, but still kick up pretty easily when the hit the sand. Problem was the springs rusted up quickly. If I could find some springs a little shorter and not as stiff, in a rustfree material, I think it woud improve our situation.
Didn't know if any one else had the same problem.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well ... sounds to me like you have a problem. With the system I mean. Mine are about 1/8" proud of the rudder casting I think and they kick when they hit a rock and either do no damage or take out a small nick in the rudders. I have EPOs so I'm careful about kicking them up as I get closer to the rocks. Replace the cams as a shot, make sure your rudders are pushed all the way into the casting.

If you like your custom springs then fill the casting with grease and it should live for a season.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a older wave so answer could be different if you have the newer rudders. I keep grease in the area where the spring is and then the tension is a lot easier to regulate. I believe the greasing idea is in the instruction book.