Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What are some affordable options for getting something to help me drag my Wave from the trailer to the water?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Depending on your definition of affordable, the Tiger or CatTrax from Florida Sailcraft might outlive your Wave. I started with the Tiger Trax, but on Florida Panhandle fine sands, I changed over to the CatTrax wheels, much better. I move my Wave (mast stepped) approximately 75-100 ft to water's edge.

bill

http://www.floridasailcraft.com/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The CatTrax mentioned above seem to be the most regularly mentioned solution. At 500 plus (Canada anyways), it doesn't maybe fit everyone's definition of "affordable" but I'm sure it is "well worth it" if you have a heavier boat.

Like the above poster, I'm mast up with very little distance to drag it. I often do it unaided but if I'm tired upon my return or for the times I do trailer it somewhere, I build some sliders from PVC tubing spaced out in between treated 2x6 lumber. It's basically like log rolling the boat but with less fumbling around. I made four so you can basically go any distance required. Slides like glass on the PVC. I cut the lumber to fit nicely in the back of my truck.

Other folks have built PVC into strips of tarp to be easily rolled up when done. Hobie even sold a set like that 'back a ways."

You will also find many home made dolly ideas with some searching.

Lots of choices......

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dynamic Dollies is a little more pricey than what I originally had in mind, but it looks like a well made product. I very well may get one of these:

http://dynamicdollies.com/dollies/