Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Style Points
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can not tell you what happened this weekend, but I will say that Matt Miller earned extra style points. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:20 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
come on, tell us he will not care...or will he.....?

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt will have to tell you. It was blowing 20 kts and Matt was entertainment for all.

Post subject: Style Points
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:43 pm 
Site Admin

I simply was doing as told... Pitchpole. Mine was just much more dramatic. Mike and another buddy of ours (Lyle) were sailing Mike's Wave and enjoying the unusual breeze Saturday morning. Mike had been forcing the boat to stuff hard in front of the beach as a show and then he would recover. I just came in hot, stood up and stepped forward to make it a good one. I drove off and hit a puff all at the same time. That was it. I was over in a half second...HARD! All I could do is tuck and slide into the water.

Forgot how easy the Wave is to right. Just hopped up and grabbed the lace lines, leaned out and back over it came.

Great day of sailing Saturday capped off with double trapping on Mikes 20 with my eight year old and some other friends. Yeehaa! We sailed pretty much all day Saturday and again on Sunday. A really fun weekend. Thanks again Mike!

Oh yeah... you can certainly fly a hull on a Wave!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:40 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
We use to have pitch pole contest on the waves, see who could get launched the farthest. The wave takes very little to right, which is why its the perfect boat for kids to learn to sail on. It also does not pitch pole as easy as it sounds, as long as your weight is aft there not an issue, especially with the traveler kit installed!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As usual, Matt is being a little reserved in his discription of the day. It was blowing solid 25kts with large gust. We had rigged the 20 but left it on the beach because the group of guest we had were all non-sailors or small kids (except Lyle, but we needed him to help watch the kids). Matt says that Lyle and I were trying to drive the bow down, but the truth is, two red flags were flying off the clubs mast, we had no business being near the water. We kept telling the kids to keep upwind of the boats. Lyle tied his pop up sunshade to a cemented in 4X4 just to keep it from blowing away. Even then, he added a second line just to be sure because it kept shuttering in the large gust.

The run Matt took was spectacular. Think of the Tiger video pitchpoling in the trench, except with 4 foot wind waves on the short fetch Mission Bay. Matt came flying off one of these short steep waves and got air on the Wave. He says he was standing up, but that is only half true. It was kind of like Dean Froome with the boat falling away from him as he jumped the 18 in "Sharing the Wind". As the Wave landed, it was already bow down. The momentum pitched Matt from were the boat pitchpoled about 20 yards from the beach, to just past the mast. The kids later found several small fish in the tramp pocket no doubt scooped up durring this violent event. The style points were for the spin and half flip Matt did as he sailed past the mast. :wink: