Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My wife bought herself a Hobie Toy Box and gave me the privilege of mounting it to her trailer. Does anyone have any suggestions? Drill holes in the bottom of the sail tube? I would have expected at least a suggestion on the instructions as to how this could be done.

Anyway, if you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it before I start drilling.

bob Klein
Hobie Wave (wifey’s boat)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Put the box on the trailer and line it up with the crossbars, Drill the holes for the front crossbar through the hatch. Center punch the crossbar through those holes and drill the crossbar. Slide the bolts in but don't put the nuts on yet.

Figure out where the holes for the rear crossbar need to be drilled in the box. Pull the front bolts, slide the box back from the crossbar and drill the holes. Put the front bolts back in and center punch the rear holes. Move the box, drill the rear holes in the crossbar and bolt the box to the trailer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:22 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
We use lag bolts to install the box with, the nut and bolt system does not work for the trailers we sell. Just drill a hole in the toy box and trailer, take a ratchet and run the lags bolts in, make sure not to over tighten them and strip them out. I have been wanting to drill the trailer cross bar, run some threads in it and see if the cross bar itself could act ad a nut, all you would need is a good tap set and I think it would work w/o problem.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sunjammers wrote:
We use lag bolts to install the box with, the nut and bolt system does not work for the trailers we sell. Just drill a hole in the toy box and trailer, take a ratchet and run the lags bolts in, make sure not to over tighten them and strip them out. I have been wanting to drill the trailer cross bar, run some threads in it and see if the cross bar itself could act ad a nut, all you would need is a good tap set and I think it would work w/o problem.
What type of trailers do you sell?

Taking the wall thickness of the crossbar into account, I'd be very concerned that lag bolts will eventually loosen. Use bolts long enough to go through the crossbar and finish it off with nylock nuts. Use fender washers inside the box so the bolt doesn't pull through the plastic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:14 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
we sell trailers made here locally in Panama City, not sure how thick the material is on the cross bar, just know when we tested it we could not get a lag bolt to pull out, we picked up the trailer tong by pulling up on the front of a toy box. Not years down the road they may loosen and yes a thru bolt would prob. be better as well. We just try to put as few holes in metal, you are prone to rusting everywhere you chip the galvanization off at.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers