Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 'Quad Carting' a Wave
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey fellow Wave-A-haulics
I have the misfortune to live on a beach with a very steep rise to get my Wave tied up to my Seawall. I have a 2 wheeled Cat Trax with a forward boom but I need two other wheels to support the bows to tow this boat back to home with a 5 to 1 block and tackle (or a power winch).
Has anyone found a way to support the front end of the Wave to have it slide over a steep rise?
(Please keep in mind, that it is only a matter of time until I get a Getaway as a party boat, which is far heavier than the Wave)
Any suggestions will gain you a ton of Karma ;)
Tri

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

How tall is the rise?

Could you build a slip of sorts. Just a pair of some angled 2x4s with a few cross-members to keep them in place for each hull. Some carpeting of some sort could be used to help lower friction and not mark the hulls.

For a winch, my expensive but fun suggestion is to buy a Jeep which is the perfect excuse to buy a winch. You now have a new, albeit expensive, hobby by joining a local Jeep club and riding on their trails but you will be amazed at how often you use the winch for non-stuck duties.

I have used mine for helping to fell some trees that I was cutting down so they fell into the proper direction, hauling the stumps out of the ground, dragging a mini-barn to a new position, tightening a deflated tire back tight against it's rim so it could be re-inflated. lifting a decorative rock that fell over at the end of our lane, and many others. I once even used it to lower a buddy down a cliff to retrieve a fallen dog on a ledge.

In a situation much like yours, I dragged a picnic table up a cliff that we found washed up on the shore. It had drifted over after a storm from the neighbouring camp ground across the bay. The camp ground couldn't be bothered to come get it off the shore as there was no easy vehicle access but we hauled it up over the bank and it it served us well for many years.

OK, long story and buying a vehicle to get a winch is not really practical (but I still insist it is fun) but the temporary slip may be a good idea, depending on your situation. It would not need to be big and permanent. It could be something you assemble in the spring and remove at the season's end.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Murph
Thanks for your reply (Karma cheque's in the mail, hehe).
You asked what the rise is: 75 feet @ about 20 degrees of very smooth rounded rocks (like 2 to 3" ball bearings).
If I put a gas powered vehicle on that beach, the skies would open and The Canadian Enviro God will punish me with a serious fine, let alone the neighbours who will probably hang me from the nearest piece of driftwood.
Like you, I'm an avid off-roader, but that solution simply can't be an option in this case.
I've got a garden cart that can hold 1500 lbs which I thought to modify with a couple of 8', 2X6s, cut out the bow shapes and use that as the front wheels for the Wave. The 5 to 1 purchase works well as I've used that to get my Hobie Adventure Island up the hill.
Thanks again for your suggestions Murph
(btw: how's the weather down in PEI?)
Tri

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wow, 75 feet. That is a challenging bank. Sounds like you have it figured out though.

For the record, I wouldn't drive on the beach either, just in case the EnviroGod is listening hear too. My jeep stayed on the top of the banks in those instances. I've driven it on our shore below our house before to gather rock for our garden, but it is just that, a rough shore with just dirt and seaweed. We almost always kayak or now sail to the nearest beach which is just across the bay.

The weather here has been awesome for water sports, hot and dry. However, we are in a bad dry spell like a lot of North America right now. Some rivers are even starting to dry up. Fish kills, crops are in danger of failing, etc. It's not a panic yet but definitely the worst I remember. Not as bad as the mudslides you've been having in BC.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Murph
I saw another solution today that may actually look less 'dorky' than a Garden Cart with lumber' to hold up the bows: 2 C-Tug Kayak carts (one for each bow).

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/375 ... -Cart.html

The bonus is that this is the only kayak cart that I've seen that can rotate the pads enough to hug the Wave bows. Not cheap but if it works...
Sorry to hear about the weather back East, Murph. The crappy weather we had here in June and a heat wave in July has let loose here with Floods and Slides.
(Whatever y'all do in PEI - Save the Spuds, Please! Canadian life is not real until we get a taste of PEI Potatoes.)
Bests
Tri