Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This Post is aimed at new owners of the Wave.
After reading about creaking on the hulls, I assume that the person(s) posting that complaint do not have a means to stabilize the bows of their Wave.
Please take a close look at the bird's eye view of how the Wave is constructed. If you own the Club Edition, this boat depends heavily on the tramp and it's lacing to keep it together.
A simple Spreader Kit will lock together the most critical part of this small boat (ie: the bows), especially if you intend to get the best of performance out of this incredibly fun cat.
I know where you can buy this kit, so can you if you look into the after market industry on the Web.
If you buy the Hobie jib option kit for the Wave it comes with the 2 new bow tangs and the rod and the 2 end cap fittings. However, this optional 25 foot square jib is not worth the cost of the entire kit, imho.
(It has been recommended numerous times on this forum that the Spinnaker Option for the Wave will indeed improve the performance of this boat. I agree, but the Spinnaker Hardware kit does not come with a Spreader Bar Kit, according to my parts dealer. If you choose to install the Spinnaker Kit on the Wave, I strongly recommend that the Spreader Bar kit be installed simply to spread the stress over the hulls as Chutes lift up on the hulls via the shortened spinnaker bridle.)
Simply my own opinion.
Tri

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I installed a jib kit over a year ago and it is remarkable if you restrict its use to heavy wind days and manage it correctly.

Don't be so quick to dismiss its value. I squeak another 10-15% performance out of the Wave when underway with both sails.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

choctaw60 wrote:
I installed a jib kit over a year ago and it is remarkable if you restrict its use to heavy wind days and manage it correctly.

Don't be so quick to dismiss its value. I squeak another 10-15% performance out of the Wave when underway with both sails.

Hey choctaw
I'm glad that the standard jib works out well for you.
Considering that I already have the spreader kit installed to be completed with the spinnaker kit, I will probably have a larger jib made which is more useful for my local conditions.
Regards
Tri

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My experience is the same as Choctaw60's -- I've added the standard jib kit and I find that it gives me a little more speed, and helps keep the bows up. In lighter wind conditions I'd probably want a bigger headsail but it's typically 15-20 knots or more around here.

Another reason to get the jib -- in very heavy weather I've dropped the main and sailed home (downwind) under jib alone -- 12 knots in 35 knots of wind!

stuart

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a '99 Wave, perviously owned by a resort, and when I got it, it was beat half to death.

1) I added the jib hardware, and once I put the spreader bar in place, the speed of the boat increased by a noticeable amount.

Then, my lovely wife turned an old windsurfing sail into a jib, the same size as the standard Hobie jib, and it works great.

2) In my experience, the jib is a worthwhile investment. I know others feel differently, but I wouldn't go without it.
Besides the increase in speed, it also seems to lift the bow, and keep it from digging into the waves, and that alone is worth it for me.

- keep sailing, and enjoy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ok well on the other side of the coin. I have a 97 Wave in good shape. It came with the Jib kit. I hate the jib. It wont point worth a darn with out flapping the jib like crazy. Speed gained I feel is pretty minimal. I do leave the spreader bar on the boat though! Maybe my old jib is just blown out...I usually dont bother rigging it though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hobiesrock wrote:
Ok well on the other side of the coin. I have a 97 Wave in good shape. It came with the Jib kit. I hate the jib. It wont point worth a darn with out flapping the jib like crazy. Speed gained I feel is pretty minimal. I do leave the spreader bar on the boat though! Maybe my old jib is just blown out...I usually dont bother rigging it though.

Where are you sheeting your jib to? My jib is sheeted to blocks mounted on the inside of the hulls and the jib doesn't luff unless the main is also luffing. It sounds likethe sheeting angle for your jib might need some attention?

Stuart

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pretty sure its where its supposed to be. On the inside of hull, between the seat pads.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Maybe I missed it, is there a DIY soultion to the spreader bar? Should I be measuring the bow and stern to check for alignment? I don't plan on buying or using a jib, it is just too easy to rig and go the way it is and I decided on my wave to keep it simple and easy to rig and manage by myself. I would have a different opinion if I always had a crew or left the boat in the water or on the beach all the time.

Thanks Jim

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Jim
The Spreader bar kit is after market and it is DIY if you ask about the install. It is also part of the Jib Kit offered as an option by Hobie.
If you are asking if you can make it yourself, No, unless you care to cast your own revised Bow tangs. The kit is available from:

http://www.catsailor.com/store/pc/viewP ... tegory=261

It stands to reason as the years go by, wear and tear may cause 'creaking'. This kit simply acts to stabilize your bows (almost like the 3rd crossbar on the bows).

Best Regards, and good winds.
Tri